• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

chromium picolinate for neuroinflammation? Mice 2020 study

pattismith

Chromium picolinate attenuates cognitive deficit in ICV-STZ rat paradigm of sporadic Alzheimer’s-like dementia via targeting neuroinflammatory and IRS-1/PI3K/AKT/GSK-3β pathway | SpringerLink

Alzheimer's disease (AD) is prevalent in old age people and is one of the most common brain diseases. Brain insulin resistance, neuroinflammation, oxidative stress, and mitochondrial and cholinergic dysfunction are key features of the disease. In our study, streptozotocin (STZ) in a dose of 3 mg/kg was injected in male Wistar rats bilaterally through the intracerebroventricular (ICV) route on stereotaxic apparatus. Chromium picolinate (CrPic) was tested at doses of 1 mg/kg, 2 mg/kg, and 4 mg/kg, while rivastigmine (2 mg/kg) was used as reference standard drug. Cognitive dysfunction induced by STZ was assessed by behavioral tests like Morris water maze and novel object recognition test.

Treatment with CrPic revealed attenuation of cognitive deficit. This was confirmed by behavioral tests, biochemical estimations of antioxidant enzymes, oxidative stress, nitrosative stress, and cholinergic and mitochondrial activity. CrPic did not change AchE activity significantly.

STZ-induced neuroinflammation evident by increased TNF-α, IL-6, and CRP levels was also significantly decreased by CrPic.

Dysfunctional insulin signaling after ICV-STZ was demonstrated by reduced IRS-1, PI3K, AKT, BDNF gene expression, and increased GSK-3β, NF-κB gene expression with the help of qRT-PCR.

CrPic treatment produced an improvement in insulin signaling revealed by increased gene expression of IRS-1, PI3-K, AKT, BDNF, and decreased gene expression of GSK-3β and NF-κB. It was concluded that CrPic reversed AD pathology revealed by improved memory, reduced oxidative stress, neuroinflammation, mitochondrial dysfunction, and upregulated insulin signaling.

pattismith

Interestingly my morning lactatemia was over 2 mmol/L (the upper normal limite) for months.

I am not diabetic nor prediabetic, and was carreful to eat low glycemic food....

But....Ginger consumption was able to lower the level between 1 and 2, so I suspected my glucose metabolism was the root of my elevated lactates.

One week ago I took Chromium Picolinate supplement 200 mcg per day x 2 days.

This immediately makes me very tired and brain fogged so I had to stop it...... but my morning lactates are under 2 since then! This is amazing!

YippeeKi YOW !!

This is really interesting @pattismith .....

For reasons I can't recall but I suspect were connected to the period that followed the worst of The Troubles (that 5-plus years when I was in really, really bad shape and totally non-functional) when I found that I was reactive to pretty much everything I was eating or taking, I dropped my chromium picolinate along with everything else, most of which Ive slowly and carefully added back in.

This study has make me consider adding it back in and seeing how I react to it ....

Thank you for posting !!!

Oliver3

Oliver3

It was white. It has a profound effect on my mood and cognition. I was like, oh this is what it's like to be normal and alive!

It didn't feel like proteinuria, more like a swift exit of the supplement. But you could be right. I tried lesser doses but it didn't have the same beautiful effect.
I've read that it creates an antioxidant reaction because essentially it's a poison.
I also heard that in road accidents, people who happened to have heart disease noticed in the emergency room were deemed to have low levels of chromium.
Again just anecdotal stuff I've read.

Maybe I should try carnivore!

SWAlexander

people who happened to have heart disease noticed in the emergency room were deemed to have low levels of chromium.
There is a better solution, instead of finding out in the ER, a Minerals/trace elements in whole blood test.
Results depend on whether we could use supplements to balance instead of trying out for months what works or not or even makes symptoms worse.

I know for example my Zinc and Magnesium are low, and since I take supplements. For this reason, I asked for Minerals/trace elements in whole blood test, but not all PCPs like to do them.
This is what my PCP emailed me:
Hello Ms. Alexander, We don't have these special heparin tubes that are used for this specific purpose in practice. Therefore we cannot decrease these values. Unfortunately, it is not profitable for us to purchase these tubes either, as we only receive and have to pay for 100 of them.