• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Christian resources

Martlet

Something raised elsewhere on the forum had me thinking about this. There are several Christians or lapsed Christians here, suffering alone, often feeling guilt or worthlessness and I wondered whether there was anything we could do to help.

For Catholics (or anyone interested) there is an excellent ministry near London where people would listen to you, pray with you (laying on of hands) and just plain love you. I am not posting the details here because I don't want them getting crank calls, but if anyone wants to be put in touch with them, please PM me. I will make sure there is someone to take you under their wing when you get there, so you won't feel like a fish out of water.

If anyone else has a Christian group they feel they might be able to help those who are seeking, or are just in need of some love and acceptance, please post your names here, together with the denomination of the group. Perhaps that way, we can weave a web of support!

Timaca

This isn't exactly what you are asking for Martlet, but there are some Christian resources that have helped me. Joel Osteen www.joelosteen.com and Joyce Meyer www.joycemeyer.org both have encouraging books, CDs, and devotionals online and downloadable sermons to encourage you. They are both uplifting, and both make me laugh. And, for laughter I really enjoy Dave Barry www.davebarry.com Dave is not in the Christian category, but he is hilarious, and his books or articles (available online) are so funny, and since laughter is good medicine, it keeps my spirits up. Here's a couple of my favorite Dave Barry articles: http://www.hereinstead.com/sys-tmpl/bthestoryofrogerandelaine/ and http://www.wral.com/golo/blogpost/3806711/

Best, Timaca

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
12 step. I used to associate 12 step groups with alcoholics.. A church neatby used to advertise their 12 step groups and I wondered why there was never mention of addiction. I called them up one day inquiring as to their criteria for the group and they said it was for people in disfunctional families and that 95% of families were disfuntional. I went and it really helped me. We met once a week and worked through a workbook, I still have 2 friends from there that I see occasionally and neither of them are addicts. One has gone back to the groups again, When I am well enough I want to go back. The church is foursquare but other churches also have the groups.

glen

Tammie

Rest Ministries website.....all about Christians dealing with chronic illness/chronic pain.....also has sub categories relating to specific illnesses/issues....and there are some good books/resources available via the site, too

sela

thank you for the dave barry links. they are seriously hysterical. please post any hilarious link, that really helped.