• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME and Nature

Rufous McKinney

Before CFS when I did grounding for a few hours it would energize me to walk 5,000k steps and I no longer feel these effects for some reason

Because our body chemistry and metabolism is all off. Something that felt good before the illness (or before it worsened, depending upon circumstances)...something thats normally rejuvenating is for us exhausting.

Its tremendously invigorating to the body to enjoy things like saunas, sweats, swimming in cold streams, leaping in to ponds. Walking barefoot on grass- it feels wonderful. Getting a massage.

But this is- us. These experiences also come with the depreciation. For me, its visually exhausting, my eyes ache and blurr and its too bright and the breeze makes them ache- so literally Outdoors is somehow just too intense alot of the time.

So when I arrived the other day in this pretty little park, just to get my grandaughter outside for a bit, it was only a few minutes before I simply collapased on the grass. It was wonderful to just lie on the grass and look at the sky and the trees above me. But that was all I could really do- collapse.