• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Challenges in Primary Care: Interactive Training

Firestormm

Ok. This is a video training guide for physicians in the US of A. You might want to play doctor as it has some questions. It's a video presentation and interactive too :D

From Medscape Education Family Medicine

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Challenges in Primary Care CME/CE

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD; Charles W. Lapp, MD; Lucinda Bateman, MD

Faculty and Disclosures

CME/CE Released: 03/23/2012; Valid for credit through 03/23/2013

Video presentation/interaction: http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/759095

Over to you 'Chuck' :D

Sparrow

I got to the slide that talked about CBT and GET being the only treatments with evidence they're helpful for patients, and couldn't find the energy to continue.

Firestormm

Hi Camilla, I only got half-way through yesterday before needing a break. I'll try again today if I can. Here's a transcript with slides should you want to read, rather than watch: http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/759095_transcript

I think you still need to register for access but that's fine and relatively easy. From what I did remember about the first part of the training video - I didn't think it was as bad as I have seen/heard before and (though I need to refresh my memory later) even the CBT part was reasonable.

One of the things that appear to have been picked up on over on the CAA's FB page, is the lack of awareness afforded to severe patients: https://www.facebook.com/CFIDSAssn in particular when it comes to alerting physicians as to the potential seriousness of the condition.

They posed interactive Q&A's along the way, I wonder if anyone had any opinion of those specifically? You are able to see the results to the questions from everyone who has taken part. It might be revealing to take note of the %'s that got the questions 'wrong'. But of course as we are all accessing this educational module - it's not just medic's now taking part.

fla

Considering it was funded by the CDC it's better than expected. They should have mentioned that GET can be dangerous if the patient exceeds their anaerobic threshold but they didn't. Overall this is good progress from the CDC.

Firestormm

I had to start again and am finding that listening whilst reading the transcript is helping me absorb it all better. Bateman was one of the authors of the ICCME wasn't she? Just as an aside.

Also noticed that the transcript affords the answers to the questions!! Not that any of us would need them of course. Interesting to see how many nutbars opted for the incorrect ones though :D

There is I think quite a bit they could have included but I am still of the opinion that something similar should be used in the UK. I haven't seen anything that matches this - we have the 'map of medicine' and NICE Guidelines and that's about it. Don't know what our physicians have available to them by way of supplementary training resources.

If we had the opportunity to review and improve this attempt from the CDC I think it would be quite useful....

Enid

Why challenges Firestorm, (ME/CFS well on the way to understanding - what I think or you think - stay with science).