• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can you get PEM from writing articles?

Davsey27

Curious if this is possible?

Found a company that pays about 5 bucks for 400-500 word articles.More for larger articles.

Wrote 1 today and feel like the brain is too fried to type another one.Took me about an hour or so

Is this part of ME?

Thank You all

Rufous McKinney

Wrote 1 today and feel like the brain is too fried to type another one.

Ummm...yes, thats ME also.

It takes energy to think. It takes energy to connect thoughts into strings of thoughts. To search the filing cabinets...And one can have some brilliant thought and then it can evaporate in one millesecond and there is no air in the sail, things can just go rather blank.

For me its more retrieval and processing...the basic info is still in there. Where did it go? Takes longer to find.

Jyoti

Sorry, but I have to concur. I get some of my worst PEM from writing at length. Focused mental work is exertion and as with any other activity, I have to stay in my envelope. I think some of us are more vulnerable to physical exertion, some to mental, some to social/emotional engagement. I guess @Davsey27 you just have to trust the wisdom of your body, which is making itself (unfortunately) apparent.

Yes, I get PEM from writing, too. As the others said, it takes concentration. I can neither concentrate as well, nor as long, as I used to be able to.

No matter what the thing is that I want to do, I can't do much of it.

If I can keep my feet up, that's somewhat better. Feet up and head down is better still. But there's still going to be a limit that I feel is not reasonable.

Likaloha

Curious if this is possible?

Found a company that pays about 5 bucks for 400-500 word articles.More for larger articles.

Wrote 1 today and feel like the brain is too fried to type another one.Took me about an hour or so

Is this part of ME?

Thank You all
Yes, it seems like emotional and mental energy being spent is as tiring as physical energy being used!

maple

Yes. PEM from writing, thinking, music, playing board games, holding conversations...

Seven7

Seven
Some do, some people don’t. I used to but currently do not get mental PEM as much. After a whole week of hard thinking I might.

Frunobulax

I can do mental work for about 3-4 hours a day, a lot more than physical work. But I do get PEM if I overdo it or don't take enough breaks.

Definitely get this myself sadly. Anything over 1-2 hours of mental work including writing a day will trigger an aching body and mild fever, on top of a terrible brain fog.