• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can PEM cause depression?

ebethc

I now think it's probably much less than the low grade brain inflammation is causing.

did any of the presentations address glucose/insulin problems in CFS'ers?

I've been wondering about this lately... my blood work is fine, but that doesn't mean that my body is using glucose/insulin well... plus, low carb seems to help so many; maybe it's not just helpful for microbiome problems.

thanks

ljimbo423

did any of the presentations address glucose/insulin problems in CFS'ers?

I don't remember if anybody talked about glucose/insulin problems at the symposium. They might have and I just don't remember.

I've been wondering about this lately... my blood work is fine, but that doesn't mean that my body is using glucose/insulin well...

It seems like I get low blood sugar issues 2-3 hours after I eat. I usually start to feel more fatigued, anxious etc. That usually goes away when I eat.

plus, low carb seems to help so many; maybe it's not just helpful for microbiome problems

I think low carb or keto might also be good for mito. dysfunction, for some. Keto makes me sick though.

I tried to wait it out but I was still sick on a keto diet 6-8 weeks later. Some people feel tremendously better.

ebethc

I think low carb or keto might also be good for mito. dysfunction, for some. Keto makes me sick though.

I tried to wait it out but I was still sick on a keto diet 6-8 weeks later. Some people feel tremendously better.

"low carb" for me is 50-75g carbs per day, so some would consider that medium, not low... Super low (20g per day) is hard for me (maybe I can't stick it out long enough??) but I like to eat a lot of veggies anyway... Meat is hard for me to digest, so I eat it in moderation and w Betaine HCL... def feel better when I eat it in moderation... a vegan diet made my stomach feel better, but increased fatigue dramatically...plus, I hadn't discovered betaine hcl yet, which helps a lot..re keto, I can't tolerate a lot of fat either... esp saturated fat..

so... w/o a lot of meat/fat to lean on, super low carb or keto would be tough for me.. I am sensitive to carbs, so I have to balance... still searching for the right macro balance (carbs/protein/fat)...

do you remember what your macro balance was when you tried keto?