• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can one have an Angiotensin deficiency and is there a way to increase Angiotensin?

Shanti1

Administrator
I see. Past Epstein Barr viral infection may have affected the brain stem, where blood pressure is regulated, despite heart rate being normal.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward something centrally mediated, perhaps from damage or ongoing pathogen mediated inflammation in the brainstem or hypothalamus, but there are so many conundrums about the whole thing.

Yeah, I'm leaning toward something centrally mediated, perhaps from damage or ongoing pathogen mediated inflammation in the brainstem or hypothalamus, but there are so many conundrums about the whole thing.
This could be why initially things that can raise BP like iodine don't stick. Sudden increase in signalling from iodine and other natural things that work through body mechanisms to raise BP don't fix the issue if the issue stems from the brain. And only things that work in the CNS to artificiallly raise norepinephrine work like strattera because it permanently strengthens the signals as long as you take it that overcomes compromised brain structures.

Shanti1

Administrator
This could be why initially things that can raise BP like iodine don't stick. Sudden increase in signalling from iodine and other natural things that work through body mechanisms to raise BP don't fix the issue if the issue stems from the brain. And only things that work in the CNS to artificiallly raise norepinephrine work like strattera because it permanently strengthens the signals as long as you take it that overcomes compromised brain structures.

While droxidopa does cross the BBB, which undoubtedly helps with mental symptoms, its action to increase BP is thought to be peripherally mediated through its conversation to NE in peripheral synapses as wells tissue conversion to NE as a circulating hormone. "The [central] mechanism, however, is largely defunct, since the pressor effect of droxidopa is blocked by high doses of carbidopa, which inhibits AAAD in the periphery, but not in the brain." (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4509799/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12885750/)

Strattera helped, but not as much as droxidopa, it can also act peripherally and, although I think I get mental benefit from strattera, I believe it helped my OI through peripheral NE reuptake inhibition.

While my leading theory is that its a centrally mediated failure to trigger sympathetic peripheral NE release, (which droxidopa band-aids), it could also be autonomic small fiber neuropathy, or still something else.