• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

burning skin on face, end of tongue

rebar

Hi all, about 2 years ago I dealt with skin on my face, the inside of my mouth, my tongue all burning, at one point even my throat.I had a couple of incidents where my ears got bright red and painful from the level of burning.This became a constant issue only changing in intensity, I started B12 treatment, within 4 weeks it lessoned and eventually resolved. Well its back, not as bad as it was but if it follows the previous pattern it should continue to get worse. I'm still on the B12 protocol and am not sure it had anything to with it previously improving. I don't believe it to be environmental, I suspect it is possibly gastric and most certainly part of my ME/CFS. Anyone else have to deal with any "reactive" type of skin issue? There has been no change in my diet.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

camas

I burned and flushed off and on for years until I learned I had high histamine levels caused by a mast cell disorder. My dermatologist showed me that I had high histamine levels in my skin by running a closed pen rather forcefully on the underside of my arm which raised a welt (aka dermographism). My burning and flushing have improved greatly from using antihistamines and avoiding high histamine foods. I hope this is of some help. The burning mouth and tongue is the worst!

rebar

thank you Camas, now I have a direction, I never considered a dermatologist and will follow through will the suggestions. Have tried antihistamines with limited results. With all that we deal with its sometimes the less life impacting problems that push us over the edge. Have not looked into problems with mast cells, but I will.