• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Fog or something else?

I think the following questions probably fell into a black hole at the end of my original thread, so thought they deserved their own thread, and are cognitive also.
  1. Has anyone experienced an extended period (years in my case) when their mind would be completely silent (so no spontaneous thoughts popping into the head)?
  2. Has anyone experienced where they are unable to focus in on any subject with their mind (cannot meditate upon / analyse / hold thoughts in their mind), but when their mind is completely clear, so not related to any kind of 'brain fog' as far as I understand 'brain fog' symptoms to be anyway?
  3. Has anyone experienced any short term memory problems or been unable to process new information (cognitive symptoms very common to ME/CFS), but without any 'brain fog'? (so no confusion, slowness of thought, difficulty finding words etc etc)
Would appreciate any thoughts. I have been experiencing all of the above problems for about 10 years constantly, with no real change from moment to moment or day to day, although the short term memory can be worse every now and then when I can't remember what I did seconds before; all without any of what seems to be the typical symptoms of 'brain fog',

Thanks,

Murph

:)
I don't get those exact symptoms but I do get a range of other ones. I think our brains all go awry in their own special ways....

Hip

the short term memory can be worse every now and then when I can't remember what I did seconds before; all without any of what seems to be the typical symptoms of 'brain fog',

I've certainly had that sort of symptom: for example, I might pick up a jar of vitamins, swallow a pill, close the jar, and then a a few moments later I'll look at jar and think: "did I take that vitamin just now or not?" And I will have no idea of whether I had just taken it.

Or I might fill the kettle with fresh water to make a cup of tea, put the kettle on its stand, and then I'll think: "did I actually fill this kettle with fresh water just now or not?"

I am a little better these days, but that's what it was like when my ME/CFS was worse than it is now. Really bad short term memory.

Murph

:)
I've certainly had that sort of symptom: for example, I might pick up a jar of vitamins, swallow a pill, close the jar, and then a a few moments later I'll look at jar and think: "did I take that vitamin just now or not?" And I will have no idea of whether I had just taken it.

Or I might fill the kettle with fresh water to make a cup of tea, put the kettle on its stand, and then I'll think: "did I actually fill this kettle with fresh water just now or not?"

I am a little better these days, but that's what it was like when my ME/CFS was worse than it is now. Really bad short term memory.
I"m like this a lot. I often operate in a sort of fugue state, on autopilot, and I have scant recall of what I've been up to. Like the guy in memento, my brain is not bothering with the process of creating memories.