• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BIOINICIATIVE Report, new recommended maximum safety levels for no-ionizing EMF according to the current literature. (non-CFS)

serg1942

(I'm not sure if this is the proper subforum for this thread. Please move it to a more appropriate one if needed)

Hi everybody,

This is not an ME/CFS direct subject, but I think this is very useful information for the whole CFS community nonetheless . I have decided to delve into the available evidence on the harmful effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields, and I'm amazed at how strong the evidence is in this respect. I had been taught in medical school that non-ionizing EMF were not harmful at all for the human body. Well, obviously science says otherwise (well, it is true that most studies are epidemiological, but it is very difficult to perform direct laboratory testing on this matter, although there are also dozens of studies showing direct induced effects as well). This shouldn't come as a big surprise though, considering that the WHO has concluded that both extreamly low EMF and radio frequency radiation are type-2B-carcinogens, what means "possibly carcinogens".

So, I was interested in knowing which levels of EMF could be truly considered safe and I have found the "Bioiniciative report", a thorough review on the available literature, created by 29 scientists from 10 countries. This report analysed a couple thousands of studies on non-ionizing electromagneric fields (EMF), finding that both, extreamly low EMF (from power lines, appliances, etc.) and radio frequency EMF (Wi-Fi, mobile phones, etc.) have proven extensively to produce, among others, damage on DNA, immune system, nervous system, reproductive system and sleep patters, as well as being carcinogenic.

In summary, the maximum safety levels allowed in the USA (at least in the guidelines I found from 2010) for the radio-frequency electromagnetic fields are 3,333,333 times stronger than the adviced maximum levels proposed, based on the scientific literature, and 1000 times stronger for the extreamly low electromagnetic fields).

Getting into more detail:

1. For radio frequency EMF, based on this extensive review of the scientific literature, the group concluded that precautionary maximum levels for chronic exposure to pulsed RFR should be 0.3 nanowatts/cm2 (0.0003 microwatts/cm2), being the current maximum safety level in the USA 1000 microwatts/cm2 (for frequencies from 1.5 GHz and up, for 30 minutes exposure). Yes, you read it well, again, this is 3,333,333 times stronger!!! (established by the Federal Communications Commission
Office of Engineering & Technology: www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet56/oet56e4.pdf)

2. For extreamly low EMF, the Bioiniciative report proposed 1 mG as the maximum safety level exposure due to transmision and distribution lines, being 2*10^-4 Tesla (2000 mG) (for frequencies from 25Hz to 400 Hz) the maximum safety level established in the USA (by the International Commission on Non-ioninzing Radiation Protection: http://www.icnirp.org/cms/upload/publications/ICNIRPLFgdl.pdf).

DOWNLOAD REPORT:
https://bioinitiative.org/table-of-contents/

I apologize in advance if I'm not able to reply, if needed (my health status is really poor).

Hope it helps,
Best wishes! ,
Sergio