• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Avi Nath says......

Quilp

''We are looking at several treatment options''

I think that was said in early May 2022. What happened ?

Imagine turning your PC off in October 2009 after XMRV was announced, and logging on to Phoenix Rising some 14 years later. I have to ask - what's changed ?

Wishful

"Looking" doesn't necessarily mean finding, or even "looking at options that have a realistic chance of working". I suppose that publicly stating that "We're looking at several treatment options" is helpful for getting funding.

I'd be more impressed by a statement along the lines of "we have a treatment that has been effective for several patients, and we are pursuing larger studies".

BrightCandle

This is research from 2016-2018 we are talking about here that got shelved in 2020 when Covid came along so they could pursue the new sexy disease and abandon their promise to ME patients, The paper is being worked on over weekends and evenings having been completely deprioritised. Nath says a lot of shit, like ME being damage so no one is recovering, he certainly doesn't have the evidence behind that statement.

The NIH isn't your friend, it's not about to publish something important, no one sits on a result for 5 years that is critical unless they are a complete pyschopath. They might be that evil but more than likely it's just hype and they have nothing all that important.

Last edited:
Hopefully he has told some other important researchers about what he found so that they can steer their work in the right direction, e.g the NIH sponsored researchers Hanson, Lipkin, Unutmaz. Not guaranteed though.

edit: and actually one of the guys involved shared his theory about endoplasmic reticulum stress at some closed conference a while ago, so some people know stuff.

Quilp

Avi Nath identified ''for the first time, consistent biological abnormalities''

I believe he's known about this for over two years, probably longer. He could have shared that information with other scientists around the world. But he chose not you. Why ? It is obscenely cruel to keep that information out of the public domain. And why aren't ME Action and others making a noise about this ?
We are poorly people on the edge of life, suffering so badly that for many suicide is the only way out.
Avi Nath does not have a good reason to withhold that information. He should be ashamed, as should the others around him. We face years of misery, and I for one can't take much more.

Apparently he finished his write up in July 2022 - but those higher up in the NIH wanted to take a closer look. To me that borders on cruel - nine months to take a look !!!!

Release that information now !

Avi Nath et al - shame on you all

BrightCandle

There is a consistent problem with the NIH. Ron Davis' IIMEC speech throws quite a bit of shade at their historical approach and it sounds like maybe they might finally be coming around, but it's taken a decade and the funding has not changed.

The NIH have been stealing ME allocated funding for decades for other diseases like cancer, I see no reason to give them any benefit of the doubt at this stage. That includes any of their staff. What they are doing is indefensible and their stewardship of RECOVER is full of scandals, millions missing and wasted and studies no Long Covid patients want.

Quilp

Any they are accountable to no-one. They make a great living, no ? It would seem to me Avi Nath and Brian Wallitt, have no interest in helping patients. If they did they wouldn't sit on theses results. There is absolutely no reason why Avi Nath couldn't have issued a pre-print two years ago ! TWO YEARS FFS,
Someone tell me why that information couldn't be shared two years ago ? WHY ? Just give me a well reasoned, cogent argument and i'll stfu right now.
At the very least it would have given me hope seeing the pre-print. Now I don't have a reason to hang on. These people have blood on their hands.
But still, they'll enjoy a goodnights sleep anyways.