• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Armpit rash - Old Spice deodorant

sometexan84

Just a quick warning. If anyone has an armpit rash, it could be from Old Spice deodorant.

I was quick to jump to the conclusion that this very irritating rash in both my underarms was related to my condition, as I think that way about everything now.

Turns out, is was my Swagger Old Spice deodorant. Tons of chemical burn reports, and they're being sued for it.

2016 - Old Spice deodorant leaves ‘thousands’ of consumers with armpit rashes and burns, lawsuit says
2020 - Have You Been Burned by Old Spice? Deodorant is Still Being Sued for Causing Chemical Burns

Steer clear from the following:
  • Old Spice After Hours Deodorant
  • Old Spice Champion Deodorant
  • Old Spice Pure Sport High Endurance Deodorant
  • Old Spice Artic Force High Endurance Deodorant
  • Old Spice Bearglove Deodorant
  • Old Spice Lion Pride Deodorant
  • Old Spice Swagger Deodorant
  • Old Spice Fresh High Endurance Deodorant
  • Old Spice Aqua Reef Deodorant
  • Old Spice Classic Fresh Deodorant
  • Old Spice Fiji Deodorant
  • Old Spice Wolfhorn Deodorant
  • Old Spice Champion Deodorant

helios

For deodorant I just use a quartz block/stick so not into deodorant brands & fragrance variations, but I thought Old Spice was just the one type or these days with marketing maybe had a couple of variations, but 13 flavours, no way I would have guessed.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

I think she might mean the machismo names maybe.

My dad always used to wear Old Spice, British Sterling, and Brut. I'm not sure which one it smells like but I bought some Now Pine Needle essential oil and I swear it smells just like one of those--exactly. I think it may be Brut.

Well anyway, now we "know" their secret formula. It's kinda ironic because my MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities have made my nose super sensitive and I can more easily detect certain smells if I've smelled them before. The ironic part is that it would make me a great perfume chemist if only perfumes didn't make me sick and if I wouldn't likely quickly lose that sense.

Anyway sorry for the side track. Maybe you could try pine needle oil mixed an unscented deodorant instead maybe. Maybe mix it with a carrier oil first so it doesn't do that same thing to you that Old Spice has done.

Rufous McKinney

Sadly, these are real names. I can't imagine how bad something with a name like that must smell. I find unscented things to be best.

I googled the Lion Pride and in fact- It does exist. I avoid the aisles that contain most scented products.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Yes, the laundry detergents and cleaning products are enough to asphyxiate a person!

I've gotten to where I love and crave the smell of plain clean air. I can't stand those smells. Most scents do not smell good in spite of what the users think.