• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone know what this is?

Galixie

I have an odd symptom and I am trying to figure out what it is (and how to make it go away). I am hoping some of you fine folks can recognize it and clue me in.

I have an itchy eyebrow. (Feel free to laugh. I know it sounds funny.)

One of my eyebrows has been itching almost constantly for over a year. It gets so bad that I end up scratching it until it bleeds. I have no idea what's causing it or why it is in such a localized spot. Anyone have any theories?

I don't use any skin creams or make-up, so I don't think it's a chemical reaction. My skin is occasionally itchy in other spots, but none of those are ever as consistent(ly maddening) as this one spot. Any help would be appreciated.

Any bumps, rashes, redness, skin flakes, fluids?
If so, it might be eczema. My hubby has an eczema spot in his beard. Always exact same spot, always very itchy, sometimes red with skin flakes. It goes away with proper care, but comes back the minute he has stress or feels under the wheather.

valentinelynx

Also could have been a mild case of shingles that is not in the post-herpetic neuralgia stage. I've had a few outbreaks of shingles with only a few tiny bumps. It's also possible to have shingles with no rash.

Moof

Possibly Demodex mites? Most of us get them at some point in our lives; they're tiny mites that live in our hair follicles, usually causing no symptoms. But in some people they trigger a slight immune response, which can manifest as itchiness and, when they're in the eyelashes, a sensation similar to eye strain.

The most effective way to get rid of them seems to be tea tree oil. It's not good to get it in your eyes, and some people can't tolerate undiluted tea tree oil anywhere on their skin. It can be diluted 50/50 with some kind of vegetable oil, though, and still be effective (grapeseed oil's a good choice, as it's quite light). Clean the area thoroughly at least a couple of times a day, then rub the oil into it. This needs to be kept up for a couple of months, to allow the life-cycle of the mites to complete.

I also second all the suggestions above!

Galixie

Possibly Demodex mites? Most of us get them at some point in our lives; they're tiny mites that live in our hair follicles, usually causing no symptoms. But in some people they trigger a slight immune response, which can manifest as itchiness and, when they're in the eyelashes, a sensation similar to eye strain.

The most effective way to get rid of them seems to be tea tree oil. It's not good to get it in your eyes, and some people can't tolerate undiluted tea tree oil anywhere on their skin. It can be diluted 50/50 with some kind of vegetable oil, though, and still be effective (grapeseed oil's a good choice, as it's quite light). Clean the area thoroughly at least a couple of times a day, then rub the oil into it. This needs to be kept up for a couple of months, to allow the life-cycle of the mites to complete.

I also second all the suggestions above!

Would that occur in only one eyebrow? If it were an immune response to mites, wouldn't it happen on both eyebrows (assuming the mites are in both eyebrows)?

Any bumps, rashes, redness, skin flakes, fluids?
If so, it might be eczema. My hubby has an eczema spot in his beard. Always exact same spot, always very itchy, sometimes red with skin flakes. It goes away with proper care, but comes back the minute he has stress or feels under the wheather.

I definitely get redness and skin flakes, but that could just be from scratching. I haven't noticed any hives or bumps. I think about half of my eyebrow has been permanently rubbed off now.

It sounds wacky, but this problem started a couple of months after a car accident/concussion and all of my concussion headaches were always centered above that eye. So I can imagine there being some connection to stress/trauma. The headaches are less frequent, but the itching lingers. :(

Moof

It sounds wacky, but this problem started a couple of months after a car accident/concussion and all of my concussion headaches were always centered above that eye. So I can imagine there being some connection to stress/trauma. The headaches are less frequent, but the itching lingers. :(

You may have damaged a nerve, in that case – see this about neuropathic itch:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139924/

Dechi

I have an itchy eyelid. It comes and goes. Not to the point of making me bleed, but scratching enough to cause irritation.

I hope you can find the cause and stop it.

Gingergrrl

I imagine so – we all have nervous systems that work in a similar way.

Thank you and I am going to talk to my dog's vet's re: neuropathic itch and think this might be what is going on. I am very glad that I read this thread (and I hope you can figure out the source of your itching @Galixie).