• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone have Mast Cell only to their digestive track?

Belbyr

I am going to start getting checked for this but was curious to know if Mast Cell can be limited to only the GI tract? I guess the only other thing weird that could 'maybe' be related is my ears will turn red hot at times, usually around times when I feel really bad.

Blake2e

I am going to start getting checked for this but was curious to know if Mast Cell can be limited to only the GI tract? I guess the only other thing weird that could 'maybe' be related is my ears will turn red hot at times, usually around times when I feel really bad.
Mine started with only GI symptoms and only reacting to foods I eat.

kangaSue

Anything involving GI dysmotility or inflammation will ramp up GI mast cell activity so it's not necessarily a "mast cell" problem, just a reaction.

That said, there are a couple of specific GI mast cell conditions, Mastocytic Enterocolitis and Allergic Mastocytic Gastroenteritis and Colitis.

Treatment is the same as for MCAS, MCAD though - H1, H2 blockers, mast cell stabilisers of cromolyn sodium or ketotifen, maybe a DAO supplement to dampen reaction to food histamines.