• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ANS rewiring

Hi everyone! Have you done the ANS program, or any other neuroplasticity stuff? (DNRS, Gupta...) I would love to hear back from those who have done these programmes =)

Davsey27

I am sure there are aspects of it that may be beneficial.Perhaps the same can be said with CBT.Seems there are some that greatly benefited from it.With that being said if there Is a trigger that you can't see like mold residing somewhere or some infection then it seems that body reactions occur without a person knowing that there's a trigger in the environment.

I think there is a place for mind/body stuff but I do believe for many with me/cfs it's not the root cause

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I am sure there are aspects of it that may be beneficial.Perhaps the same can be said with CBT.Seems there are some that greatly benefited from it.With that being said if there Is a trigger that you can't see like mold residing somewhere or some infection then it seems that body reactions occur without a person knowing that there's a trigger in the environment.

I think there is a place for mind/body stuff but I do believe for many with me/cfs it's not the root cause

I did the Headspace meditation app course and the section on meditation for chronic pain was very effective. It reduced the intensity of my pain by 50%. I bet it works by a similar method.

Rewiring the brain reminds me of the rationale for neurofeedback to treat chronic pain. With ME you have mitochrondral fragmentation from excess viral load. You can't rewire your mitochondria back to normal in this case and recover the energy. So I don't see a rationale for this type of therapy for ME either.

MartinK

Hi there, @Pauline91
Im 6 months on DNRS program, I try to do it really honestly and see some benefits. I know, one of the main things in DNRS is incremental training = hardest part for me...its a little bit in conflict with pacing.

For me is DNRS very effective for positive mind, minimize negative thoughts and total calm = better sleep, easier being during the hard days. I had restless legs at night, as if I were getting small electro shocks, and that also got better.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I took a look at the DNRS program and am concerned about using it with ME patients for the same reason I would be concerned about overexercise. DNRS' goal is to retrain a patient's brain to have a higher tolerance for irritation. However, with ME patients you have a very real, hard limitation in the ability to exercise. If you were to lessen this warning the patient could really injure themselves by misguaging their energy ability and overdoing it. ME patients do not recover and improve from exercise normally, there is a huge deficit. So DNRS would fail in a similar way as graded physical therapy exercise.

https://retrainingthebrain.com/

DNRS is very different from graded physical therapy. You're missing a key component: limbic system dysfunction. Graded physical therapy does nothing for the limbic system, programmes like DNRS, Gupta etc are focusing on the limbic system. There are plenty of recovery testimonies from people with severe ME/CFS.
Also, who said that "With ME you have mitochrondral fragmentation from excess viral load" ? There are plenty of different causes for mitochondrial dysfunction, so why putting yourself in a failure position by saying "I have a virus and DNRS can't do anything for this"? No one knows for sure what are the causeS of ME/CFS, there are so many different causes, so many different recovery testimonies... Many causes, causing the same kind of mitochondrial impairment, and many ways to recover. An open mind is our most useful tool.