• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Open Response by Parents and Carers to Prof Jo Edward's paper Management of Nutritional Failure in People with Severe ME/CFS.

Countrygirl

An open response from parents and carers of people with Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis to ‘Management of Nutritional Failure in People with Severe ME/CFS: Review of the Case for Supplementing NICE Guideline NG206’​

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K8KVIhvLijLxPW6dLMyIuELjWhKAXbIt/edit

Background and Purpose
We are a group of parents and carers of people with Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
The ages of our loved ones range from mid-teens to 70s. Many of those we care for have
experienced hospital care in the UK or are at risk of an emergency admission due to
challenges maintaining adequate nutrition and hydration at home. Group members share
strikingly similar experiences. We have read Management of Nutritional Failure in People with
Severe ME/CFS: Review of the Case for Supplementing NICE Guideline NG206 (Edwards,
2024), henceforth referred to as ‘the paper’, with interest and welcome the pragmatic
approach in seeking to improve care for those suffering from life-threatening complications
due to ME. We are offering this response as a constructive contribution.
The paper highlights the ‘serious problems with nutrition’ for people with Severe Myalgic
Encephalomyelitis (referred to in the paper as ME/CFS) due to difficulties with eating and
drinking. It also points to the lack of provision of adequate services, misunderstandings /
conflict over diagnosis and approaches to managing severe symptoms.
The paper is presented within a particular context in England where there have been several
recent high-profile cases of young women with Severe ME who have been denied appropriate
management of nutrition and fluids, resulting in further harms. In some cases, this has
resulted in preventable deaths.

Whilst we welcome the paper’s recommendations, our group suggests several additional
factors not included in the preprint, which we see as critical to the analysis of the issues
highlighted. This includes the need to acknowledge the growing body of scientific and clinical
evidence explaining the underlying pathology in patients with Severe ME. We believe this to be
critical to countering the misinformation and bias that often influences clinical and
managerial decision-making about patients with this condition.

Acknowledging the biomedical evidence

Whilst the paper seeks to find a middle ground, it does not reference the biomedical evidence
relating to ME. Although we appreciate the need for pragmatism in improving care for patients,
we feel there are risks inherent in adopting an approach which seeks to find a middle ground
between settled science and the misinformed beliefs of some health care workers and
managers. Indeed, without acknowledgement of the biomedical evidence and a recognition
of appropriate clinical expertise (e.g. Bateman et al. 2021; Montoya et al. 2021; Snell and
Stevens, 2018, Leslie et al. 2023), it is unlikely that there will be a middle ground that patients
and carers can safely accept.

Despite the prevailing notion of ‘limited evidence’, ‘speculative diagnoses’, ‘unknown
mechanisms’, etc., decades of research (albeit poorly funded) have contributed to the
understanding of ME, with a significantly expanding literature since Covid-19. Pertinent
examples from this year alone include: Appelman et al. (2024); Armstrong et al. (2024); Chen
et al (2024); Eastman (2024); Keller et al (2024); Peluso et al (2024); Pretorius et al. (2024);

Ryabkova, et al (2024); Walitt et al. (2024). The common pathophysiology between post-
COVID syndrome and ME is now well-described, with Arron et al. (2024) providing a cohesive

model which calls for a holistic approach to diagnosing, researching, and treating ‘one of the
most misunderstood conditions in modern medicine’ (Arron et al. 2024).
As recognised by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), (National
Institute for Health Care and Excellence, 2021), Myalgic Encephalomyelitis is indisputably a
biomedical condition for which Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) and variations thereof are
harmful. Keller et al (2024) spotlight the ‘robust evidence of disrupted immune function,
neural activity, and metabolic function’ and ‘clinical evidence of impaired energy production
and recovery’.............................................
This is Prof Jo Edward's paper to which the parents and carers have responded:

https://www.qeios.com/read/T9SXEU
https://doi.org/10.32388/T9SXEU

Management of Nutritional Failure in People with Severe ME/CFS: Review of the Case for Supplementing NICE Guideline NG206​

Jonathan Edwards1

Affiliation
arrow_down.svg

Highly-cited researcher
Declarations

Abstract​

In the United Kingdom, a small but steady stream of people diagnosed with ME/CFS (myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome) have run into serious problems with nutrition because of difficulties with eating and drinking, and some have not survived. The clinical problem is extremely difficult, with little or no formal evidence on which to base diagnosis-specific recommendations for care, or information about prognosis. In several cases, however, the problem has apparently been compounded by a lack of provision of adequate services, misunderstandings, and conflict between health care professionals over diagnosis and approach to management. The following is a review of the clinical problem, including some suggestions for protocol content that might supplement NICE Guideline NG206. The main conclusion is that there is an urgent need for a consensus amongst professionals that focuses on practice based on reliable evidence rather than theory-laden diagnosis. The author is a physician with no direct involvement in ME/CFS care but with an interest in the clinical and scientific problems the condition poses.

BrightCandle

I find a lot of this deeply unhelpful and actually quite harmful to ME patients. Refusing to believe patients that say stimulus makes them worse is just really harmful especially from someone who also claims to have this disease. For a document that is meant to be about solving feeding in severe patients it sure spends a lot of time dismissing severe patients testimony of their own disease and it doesn't actually end up recommending dealing with these patients any differently which will result in more deaths by starvation.

This man is meant to be an ally, I am appalled but its also one of the reasons I stopped posting on S4ME.

Back