• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

An Announcement from Ron Davis, PhD

JES

It depends what your aim is, is the goal to have a unique marker for ME/CFS (which to me seems too good to be true) or to have a diagnostic that can tell the difference between "healthy" and "ME/CFS" states? Doctors do plenty of tests that are non-disease specific. For example, if you measure C-reactive protein, fever or haemoglobin, abnormalities in neither of those can directly tell us what the underlying disease is.

Badpack

@JES but wouldn't be this the exact thing you would need to find out ? Did i find something cfs specific or is it a dud. The first thing after finding this signal for me would be to test it against at least 2-3 other diseases to see what i found. To classify my findings.

perrier

What a relief listening to Dr Davis. Do you know when this update was made please? I know in Science it is hard to give time lines, but it would have been nice to hear how long some of these experiment MIGHT potentially take. I think that journalist who wrote the Time article should have rung up Dr Davis too. Stay well Dr Davis.

Badpack

Dr. Bergquist did a an hour long interview two weeks ago, unfortunately he doesn't talk about anything kynurenine related, but he does give a good broad idea of whats going on.

7:10 Intro/How is ME/CFS differentiated between regular fatigue i.e. depression & burnout.
9:05 Finding a biomarker. (Neuroinflammation, auto antibodies.)
12:13 Takes a small jab at there being barely any replication studies.
12:37 Back to auto antibodies. (No strong correlation with antobodies with severity of ME/CFS.)
17:51 No one good biomarker for ME/CFS .(Neuroinflammation via high lactate is being investigated.)
19:05 What happens with ME/CFS at a cellular and physiological levels.
22:16 Post Covid Syndrome/PVFS. (Covid can enter the CNS and show neuroinflammation via neuroimaging.)
24:29 Thoughts on cell danger response.
28:33 Active chronic infection. (Doesn't buy it.)
33:31 Thoughts on heavy metals.
37:10 What is the reason for the body to develop ME/CFS from an infection when the patient has had infections in the past and has been fine?
41:40 Does ME/CFS occurence affect regions differently?
43:16 Lipopolysaccharides
47:35 Microbiome
50:08 Fecal transplant
51:41 Why do people get better after infections?
54:06 If autoimmunity is causing ME/CFS, whats the game plan?

Also, there was a video posted by RME featuring Dr. Bergquist talking about the kynurenine trial, unfortunately it is in Swedish and there is no subtitles. If anyone can translate it, it would be greatly appreciated.