• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative Radiation-Free Imaging to CT-Scan

Peyt

Hi All,
Is anyone aware of any new imaging that can replace CT-Scan as far as detecting cancer?
It seems really counter-productive that detecting cancer is done using an instrument that can causes it!
I would love to know if anyone has any news on any new radiation-free imaging on the horizon?

This web-site can calculate the risk :
https://www.xrayrisk.com/

Hip

It seems really counter-productive that detecting cancer is done using an instrument that can causes it!

Antioxidants can to a degree protect against X-ray DNA damage during CT scans and X-rays:

One study found that N-acetyl-cysteine was the most protective antioxidant against X-rays, followed by vitamin C.

Oddly though, a study found better protection was obtained when antioxidants were administered 24 hours after the X-ray exposure, compared to taking them immediately after. Not sure why that is, or whether that study should be relied upon.

For decades there has been talk of terahertz rays replacing X-rays. The former are non-ionizing, so cannot damage DNA and trigger cancer. The problem however seems to be that it is difficult to make terahertz rays at a sufficient power, so medicine is still waiting for a good terahertz machine to be invented.

Peyt

Oddly though, a study found better protection was obtained when antioxidants were administered 24 hours after the X-ray exposure, compared to taking them immediately after. Not sure why that is, or whether that study should be relied upon.
Very Interesting, thanks so much for posting... Out of all the anti-oxidants mentioned in the study the only one I can tolerate is the Sodium Ascorbate (Sodium based Vit C)... I have POTS and this one is tolerable because Sodium helps keep the blood pressure up as opposed to other ones that just cause vasodilation and lower blood pressure..