• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Adrenal cortex extract

globalpilot

I have a question about this product and I cannot find an answer online.

the adrenal glands are composed of the medulla and the zona. There are 3 parts to the zona: 1 produces cortisol, 1 produces aldosterone and the other produces hormones.

My question is : does the adrenal cortex extract contain all 3 parts of the zona or just the part that contains cortisol ?

My concern is due to the fact that ACTH regulates all of the molecules the adrenals produce yet it is regulated only by cortisol.

So, if one takes a product that contains cortisol, you run the risk of a deficiency in the other items the adrenal glands produce due to the fact it will reduce ACTH. If the ACe product contains these other items, this would help the deficency.

I hope this makes sense and someone out there can help with my question.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I dont know about adrenal extracts but i do know adrenal hormones such as pregnenolone and dhea arent supressive to our hormones ie theres no negative feedback problems like other hormones. With testosterone therapy within a few weeks of this our body shuts down producing its own testosterone and when this therapy is stopped there is a lag period before our system starts producing testosterone again, depending on how long our treatment was effects the length of time we are shut down. This scenario apparently doesnt happen with dhea and pregnenolone, so when we stop these treatments our body continues to make what it would have previously.

If you are looking into adrenal cortex extracts for fatigue or adrenal fatigue, you may find low doses of pregnenolone helpful, many seem to react badly to normal doses of 50mg and up. It is suggested to try lower doses like 5-10mg in a transdermal cream for slower more even absorption of this hormone. Pregnenolone is the hormone most other hormones are made from and worth looking into.

cheers!!!

Cindi

Cortex extracts(I am not talking about glandulars) contain all cortex hormones. Something like 40 plus. best wishes.

globalpilot

thanks heapsreal, I'll think about that. There was a long thread on adrenal supplements on this forum and the feedback on trying these sorts of things was not good. I'm going to keep adrenal support in mind but not rushing into it.

Cindi

Hi
Glandulars are processed differently. They contain nil amounts of hormones which will mean almost nothing. They help tissue regeneration, do not give hormonal support..Sometimes lables will be confusing. Prices may help you to distinguish between extracts and glandulars. Glandulars are cheaper. Best wishes.

heapsreal

thanks heapsreal, I'll think about that. There was a long thread on adrenal supplements on this forum and the feedback on trying these sorts of things was not good. I'm going to keep adrenal support in mind but not rushing into it.

I was one who initially had a bad response after a few days of pregeneolone therapy but since lowering my viral load to within normal range and using much lower doses of pregnenolone, i am responding alot better to it. I think its a matter of using it for the right patient and the right time i guess. I was a tired but wired type cfs/me person so things that increase energy have a history of making me feel aot worse. I think now that these viruses a lower in me that inflammatory cytokines that cause a tired but wired feeling arent as strong so now i seem to respond alot better to something like pregnenolone. I have also tested low for adrenal hormones cortisol and dhea for which pregnenolone can help.

cheers!!!

globalpilot

Hi heapsreal,

That's interesting you say that b/c I'm looking into viruses now. Ihave tested postive for enteroviruses using a stomach biopsy.

What virus (es) did you have and how did you treat.

Regards,
GP

I was one who initially had a bad response after a few days of pregeneolone therapy but since lowering my viral load to within normal range and using much lower doses of pregnenolone, i am responding alot better to it. I think its a matter of using it for the right patient and the right time i guess. I was a tired but wired type cfs/me person so things that increase energy have a history of making me feel aot worse. I think now that these viruses a lower in me that inflammatory cytokines that cause a tired but wired feeling arent as strong so now i seem to respond alot better to something like pregnenolone. I have also tested low for adrenal hormones cortisol and dhea for which pregnenolone can help.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Hi heapsreal,

That's interesting you say that b/c I'm looking into viruses now. Ihave tested postive for enteroviruses using a stomach biopsy.

What virus (es) did you have and how did you treat.

Regards,
GP

ebv and cmv and used antiviral famvir for a total of 2 years, not until this was controlled could i handle adrenal type treatments etc which is only the last month or so.

cheers!!!

Hi
Glandulars are processed differently. They contain nil amounts of hormones which will mean almost nothing. They help tissue regeneration, do not give hormonal support..Sometimes lables will be confusing. Prices may help you to distinguish between extracts and glandulars. Glandulars are cheaper. Best wishes.
Really? The product I am taking which works (but only for a few hours) is a glandular with 300 mg arenal tissue in it from Nutricology. I find DHEA also works so although I was trying to cut back on DHEA I had to go back to full dose plus the adrenal glandular. I only have adrenal issues during allergy season and if exposed to toxic chamicals (flea control products). I am so bad I cannot stop shaking from low blood sugar and develop a voracious appetite which does nothing to help the blood sugar. Dhea stops that as does the adrenal glandular - for differing amounts of time (DHEA lasts close to a half day). I took a quick look at other products and the amount of adrenal glandular is lower, so I'm wondering if the dose is what matters.

Cindi

Hi

Sorry for late answer.What was the glandular you are using?Glandulars help adrenal regeneration but they do not give hormonal support. I suggest you to rest a lot for adrenal recovery. If you need hormonal support you may need to take cortex extracts but this needs to be done after an ASI -Adrenal stress index test- and under control of an experienced practitioner.Resting is safer route.best wishes.