• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acid reflux, trapped wind, constipation

paul80

I sometimes get terrible trapped wind that causes agony for hours and i'm trying to work out how to avoid it. The one in the lower esophogus between the ribs is the worst!

I start getting overproduced saliva which i know is caused by acid reflux, and all the swallowing i think is causing the trapped wind problems. So i'm trying to stop the acid reflux through different things like betaine pills and carefull diet. I have managed to stop it some days so it can be done, but just trying to find the cause.

If anyone has any advice that would be great. Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows if constipation can influence acid reflux or is that nothing to do with it?

Treeman

I kept a food diary and discovered what foods caused my reflux. I cut them out and it stopped. I get constipation but don’t think it’s linked to the reflux. I eat a couple of dates with every meal and that’s helped with the constipation.

paul80

yeah i started the food diary too, but i think just eating smaller amounts seems to have helped a lot. I started eating prunes also, i'll try eating a few with meals, thanks for the idea.