• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A LOW LEVEL OF OXYGEN IN THE MUSCLES (HYPOXIA) IS CAUSE OF CHRONIC FATIGUE, POST-EXERTIONAL MALAISE:PEM, NON-RESTORATIVE SLEEP, M-E STIFFNESS AND PAIN

A LOW LEVEL OF OXYGEN IN THE MUSCLES

(TISSUE HYPOXIA)

IS THE MOST FREQUENT CAUSE OF:

CHRONIC FATIGUE,

POST-EXERTIONAL MALAISE

(PEM or PENE),

NON-RESTORATIVE SLEEP

(NRS),

MUSCULOSKELETAL STIFFNESS AND PAIN

WHEN WAKING UP

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/382042435
Aguirre G. Table 1. COMPARISON TABLE BETWEEN A PERSON WITHOUT OR WITH CHRONIC FATIGUE AND PEM b.jpg

This occurs in

an important subgroup of patients with:

ME/CFS,

Fibromyalgia

Long COVID,

MIS-C,

Post-Vac Syndrome

Chronic Lyme, Babesia,

Bartonellosis,

EBV,

MCS,

POTS, Dysautonomia,

Stiff Person Syndrome,

Small Fiber Neuropathy (SNF),

EDS,

Mitochondrial Dysfunction,

Rheumatoid Arthritis,

Ankylosing Spondylitis or Spondyloarthritis,

Sjögren's,

Lupus, APS,

Other Autoimmune Diseases

and other chronic diseases.

Last edited:
To facilitate the clinical diagnosis of symptoms of Hypoxia/Hypoperfusion, Hypercoagulability and Microclot Syndrome (HHM), we have developed the HHM Test Questionnaire, which we have made available free of charge (the link to this questionnaire is in Reference 12):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/362634538

This questionnaire can be answered by the patient himself, his family members or treating doctors. It takes a few minutes, so it can be quickly identified, at home and at no cost, if the patient has symptoms of HHM.

If the result is 10 or more points on the HHM Test, the clinical diagnosis of Hypoxia/Hypoperfusion, Hypercoagulability and Microclot Syndrome (HHMS) would be made, which is due to chronic endothelitis, and the score of this test correlates with the number of microclots and the level of viral and/or microbial load.

Wayne

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) can significantly improve oxygenation in the body in ways that no other therapy can match (such as "standard oxygen therapy"). I have a home mHBOT chamber, and have experienced first hand the almost immediate (within 1-2 hrs) relief from debilitating PEM. I've read many stories of people getting exceptional benefits from mHBOT therapy.

One I ran across was that it can be very effective for treating (or preventing) "altitude sickness". It's been discovered that if a person flies into a high altitude area, and immediately does an HBOT session, they can often prevent altitude sickness symptoms from happening for the next several days. Apparently because a single session can so infuse the body with oxygen, that it doesn't suffer from hypoxia for some time, even in a high altitude environment.

I've long felt most pw/ME/CFS could benefit from regular at home mHBOT therapy. -- I asked an AI website about HBOT and standard oxygen therapy. Here's its answer:

What are the main differences between hyperbaric oxygen therapy and standard oxygen therapy?

Answer
The main differences between hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) and standard oxygen therapy are:
  1. Pressure: HBOT is delivered in a pressurized environment, typically 2-3 times higher than normal atmospheric pressure. Standard oxygen therapy is given at normal atmospheric pressure.
  2. Oxygen concentration: HBOT uses 100% pure oxygen, while standard oxygen therapy typically uses lower concentrations of oxygen.
  3. Oxygen delivery method: HBOT is administered in a sealed chamber, either a single-person unit or a multi-person room. Standard oxygen therapy uses devices like nasal cannulas, masks, or tents at normal pressure.
  4. Physiological effects:
    • HBOT allows oxygen to dissolve directly into the blood plasma and reach tissues in much higher concentrations, up to 1200% more than normal.
    • HBOT promotes new blood vessel formation (angiogenesis) and enhances the body's ability to fight certain infections.
    • Standard oxygen therapy primarily increases oxygen carried by hemoglobin in red blood cells.
  5. Treatment duration: HBOT sessions typically last 60-120 minutes, while standard oxygen therapy can be given continuously for longer periods as needed.
  6. Approved indications: HBOT is FDA-approved for specific conditions like decompression sickness, certain wounds, and carbon monoxide poisoning. Standard oxygen therapy has broader applications for various respiratory and cardiac conditions.
  7. Potential risks: HBOT carries some unique risks like barotrauma to the ears or sinuses due to pressure changes, and a slightly increased fire risk due to the high oxygen concentration.
These differences make HBOT a more specialized and intensive form of oxygen treatment compared to standard oxygen therapy, with distinct applications and physiological effects.

We have simplified the clinical diagnosis of Hypoxia/Hypoperfusion in the HHM Test questionnaire,
which you can answer at home in a few minutes and at no cost:

Patients with Long COVID who score more than 15 points in the HHM Test questionnaire
have viral persistence in more than 90% of cases,
so in them we recommend carrying out a therapeutic trial with drugs against the viral load
together with fibrinolytics (LK, SP, NK, Bromelain) and Antiplatelets.
If you are a patient with Hypersensitivity, Allergies or MCAS (HSA-MCAS) you must first take antihistamines, bicarbonate and follow a diet low in histamine and nickel.

33, very severe. Sounds about right. Chance my doctor takes any of this seriously, 0%.
It is evident that you have tissue hypoxia and disseminated microclots, these are not detected with the routine and best-known tests.
You should have the following tests performed:
- D-Dimer
- Cortisol at 8am
- Lactate
- Lactic dehydrogenase
- Venous Blood Gases (VBG)
- C Reactive Protein.
https://x.com/Aguirre1Gustavo/status/1670108466847834112

We have simplified the clinical diagnosis of Hypoxia/Hypoperfusion in the HHM Test questionnaire,
which you can answer at home in a few minutes and at no cost:

Patients with Long COVID who score more than 15 points in the HHM Test questionnaire
have viral persistence in more than 90% of cases,
so in them we recommend carrying out a therapeutic trial with drugs against the viral load
together with fibrinolytics (LK, SP, NK, Bromelain) and Antiplatelets.
If you are a patient with Hypersensitivity, Allergies or MCAS (HSA-MCAS) you must first take antihistamines, bicarbonate and follow a diet low in histamine and nickel.
I found the questionnaire so interesting. I believe I have post vaccine CFS/ME and have been asking every doctor about why my nails/fingertips look they way they do without answers.

In your first question it mentions dark red in the distal fingers which is what has formed since I got the vaccine. For me it shows up as red skin right below the nail. I’m assuming it is blood since I can squeeze it out only for it to return a few seconds later. What has confused me though is that it disappears in a pool (cool water) and becomes much more prominent in heat. If it was a blood clot I would think the heat would make it better as it is causing vasodilation? I also have SFN and Raynauds so maybe it isn’t even a blood clot but something to do with faulty vasoconstriction/vasodilation. I was also wondering if could have been neovascularizarion since it didn’t appear for over a year after the onset of my symptoms.

I took the rest of the survey and only scored an 11 (but I’m already taking nattokinase daily so that may have affected the score).

Pictures of both hands attached for reference. Does anyone else have these finger findings?
IMG_0787.jpegIMG_0080.jpeg

I found the questionnaire so interesting. I believe I have post vaccine CFS/ME and have been asking every doctor about why my nails/fingertips look they way they do without answers.

In your first question it mentions dark red in the distal fingers which is what has formed since I got the vaccine. For me it shows up as red skin right below the nail. I’m assuming it is blood since I can squeeze it out only for it to return a few seconds later. What has confused me though is that it disappears in a pool (cool water) and becomes much more prominent in heat. If it was a blood clot I would think the heat would make it better as it is causing vasodilation? I also have SFN and Raynauds so maybe it isn’t even a blood clot but something to do with faulty vasoconstriction/vasodilation. I was also wondering if could have been neovascularizarion since it didn’t appear for over a year after the onset of my symptoms.

I took the rest of the survey and only scored an 11 (but I’m already taking nattokinase daily so that may have affected the score).

Pictures of both hands attached for reference. Does anyone else have these finger findings?
View attachment 54144View attachment 54146
It is surely a vascular problem, an inflammation of the small vessels, it would be persistent endothelitis. It is okay to use a fibrinolytic, I would add a drug with an effect against the viral load, such as Tenofovir and/or IVM

It is surely a vascular problem, an inflammation of the small vessels, it would be persistent endothelitis. It is okay to use a fibrinolytic, I would add a drug with an effect against the viral load, such as Tenofovir and/or IVM
I tried four months of tenofovir without any change in symptoms (improvement or worsening) unfortunately. I never tried Maraviroc and statin therapy though which is something I have considered.

Violeta

View attachment 54144View attachment 54146
My fingers do look like that and have looked like that since I was a teenager.
I will start taking bromelain immediately.
Thank you for this information.

Violeta

A LOW LEVEL OF OXYGEN IN THE MUSCLES

(TISSUE HYPOXIA)

IS THE MOST FREQUENT CAUSE OF:

CHRONIC FATIGUE,

POST-EXERTIONAL MALAISE

(PEM or PENE),

NON-RESTORATIVE SLEEP

(NRS),

MUSCULOSKELETAL STIFFNESS AND PAIN

WHEN WAKING UP

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/382042435
View attachment 54132

This occurs in

an important subgroup of patients with:

ME/CFS,

Fibromyalgia

Long COVID,

MIS-C,

Post-Vac Syndrome

Chronic Lyme, Babesia,

Bartonellosis,

EBV,

MCS,

POTS, Dysautonomia,

Stiff Person Syndrome,

Small Fiber Neuropathy (SNF),

EDS,

Mitochondrial Dysfunction,

Rheumatoid Arthritis,

Ankylosing Spondylitis or Spondyloarthritis,

Sjögren's,

Lupus, APS,

Other Autoimmune Diseases

and other chronic diseases.

Thank you for the information in your paper. Thank you for researching for a cause and remedy for ME/CFS.

Florida Guy

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) can significantly improve oxygenation in the body in ways that no other therapy can match (such as "standard oxygen therapy"). I have a home mHBOT chamber, and have experienced first hand the almost immediate (within 1-2 hrs) relief from debilitating PEM. I've read many stories of people getting exceptional benefits from mHBOT therapy.
This sounds very interesting. One problem is that I don't have room for the device. I would have to make an appointment and drive to and from the place. I think it takes a lot of sessions to get results, according to articles I've read. 20 sessions will set you back about $1200 and I think you can buy a unit for that. Some say 50 or 60 sessions would be better

Did you notice benefits immediately or was it after a number of sessions? Were there other benefits besides helping with pem? I've read that oxygen can be toxic, what are your views on that?

tyson oberle

I have ice cold hands and feet and chronic fatigue among other symptoms. I did a test called GlycoCheck that showed that I have very low capillary density (I also had my mom and brother tested as controls both of whom don't have ME/CFS and they had way more capillary density than i, mom 80% more and my brother 300% more). I think my ice cold hands & feet, chronic fatigue, etc is due to my very low amount of capillaries because there's less blood flowing with less capillaries and blood warms the body and my understanding is that almost all oxygen transfer into cells, organs, tissues, etc is from capillaries and so with very low capillaries that means I get very low oxygen transfer. I read that HBOT increases angiogenesis which is the growth of new blood vessels. Blood vessels include arteries, veins, and capillaries. I did HBOT about 5 years ago and I felt nothing at all, but I only did 10 one hour sessions once a week. Do you think if I did more HBOT and more frequently that that would help me?
Like Florida Guy in the previous post, I also wonder if HBOT would cause oxygen toxicity and/or oxidation in me because we are all different and HBOT might be good for some people and bad for other people.

Last edited:

Violeta

@Aguirre-Chang, I found this quote about A2A receptors, but I'm not sure if it means that an A2a receptor agonist would be helpful or not. Do you have an opinion?

A(2A) receptor activation suppresses the activation-induced cell death of peripheral T cells. Our results suggest, for the first time, that adenosine regulates the endothelial cell barrier function

Violeta

@Aguirre-Chang, I found this quote about A2A receptors, but I'm not sure if it means that an A2a receptor agonist would be helpful or not. Do you have an opinion?

A(2A) receptor activation suppresses the activation-induced cell death of peripheral T cells. Our results suggest, for the first time, that adenosine regulates the endothelial cell barrier function

I don't know how to apply this information.

Adenosine receptors: therapeutic aspects for inflammatory and immune diseases​

Adenosine accumulates in the extracellular space in response to metabolic stress and cell damage (BOX 1), and elevations in extracellular adenosine are found in conditions of ischaemia, hypoxia, inflammation and trauma.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2568887/#:~:text=Recent studies have revealed an,preventing excessive tissue injury (FIG.

A3 receptors dictate certain cellular responses such as rodent mast-cell degranulation, in part by decreasing intracellular cAMP concentrations

Back