• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2 weeks of constant adrenaline surges

Hi guys - entering my third week of constant heart pumping adrenaline surges - causing gastro problems, sleep problems, tremors and exhaustion. I have been resting the whole time plus low dose propanolol and Valium. My doctors keep telling me it is fatigue and it will pass - but TWO WEEKS so far ??? Can this really be fatigue???

It’s so weird - it usually “leaps” for a couple beats but then is normal when I’ve checked heart rate shortly after. It leaps then I have huge rush of adrenaline which feels like terrible fear. It happens more when I’m lying down and most when I’m asleep. I do have mild POTS and I have EDS.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This is an odd question but does it happen more when you are lying on your right side? I used to get something where I would feel faint and tingly suddenly if I rolled over onto my right side.

It mostly went away when I weaned off of iodine and some of my thyroid meds (not all because I still do need some) but I think I was prescribed too much as well as DHEA.

Not saying those are causing your issue but just mentioning this in case. It could be something else you are taking that is giving the side affect though so I would check all meds and foods that you are consuming. For instance, Cow's Milk dairy makes me feel very tense (almost angry).

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
@Irinasis33

Do you happen to experience a brief sensation in your left abdomen just before the adrenaline surges?

Over a decade ago, even before ME, I had a 3 or so month period where I would get sudden onset adrenaline rushes (quite frightening the first few times) and then they stopped.

At first they suspected pheochromocytoma - a rare tumour on the adrenal gland - given the brief sensation (I would later realize was in the adrenal area) that immediately preceded the adrenaline rushes.

Not much later, when I had another round of kidney stones, I theorized that the stones in my left kidney (the adrenal gland is next to the kidney) may have been impacting my adrenal gland.

I get these alot too. I've been taking seroquel low dose to help me feel calm. I have anxiety and panic disorder so I often just attribute it to that but I do think it is some form of dysautonomia. .my cfs doctor tells me that when we are stuck in this fight or flight mode we need to do more work on the parasympathetic system....so that's all the calming things. Music, meditation, mindfulness relaxation practices. Do few times a day to kind of retrain the system that hey we arent actually in danger here. Its friggen awful though.

Neunistiva

How do you know they are adrenaline surges? Is there some test for this?

I am asking because I get very similar symptoms, but for me they are due to POTS and dysautonomia and have nothing to do with adrenaline.

I get feeling of skipped heart beats (PVCs), random very fast heart rate, tingling in my face, muscle twitches, racing thoughts, hand tremor, frequent urination and bowel movements, heat intolerance...

Being upright or watching videos makes it worse.

How are doing now? I hope things have improved for you. I have this problem sometimes and find temperature, being too hot or too cold to be a huge factor. So is getting up in the middle of the night. Rest and catching up on sleep improves things but of course difficult if one can't sleep. What also helps me is thinking of something neutral like a movie or a dream which seems to takes the charge out if the adrenaline surges so I can sleep. And also the book, Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes. Is there any chance you have low blood sugar?

Wolfcub

I get something a bit like this. Not sure if it's the same. It comes when I've pushed a bit more than I should have done (crash I suppose)
Terrible heart palpitations...missing beats five or more times a minute plus slightly increased heart rate but not dramatically. The heart palpitations feel like they jolt my whole body, and it's like when you go down in a fast elevator.
A feeling of awful restlessness comes with it. And a creepy kind of slight nausea. Shakiness. The kind of shakiness you get when you have run too hard and for too long (I remember that from the past but cannot do that now) But it's the same feeling of utter physical exhaustion.

The doctor didn't find anything amiss with my heart or BP. But I am not sure at all about that. I'm not scared of it but it isn't pleasant.

With me it does pass but can carry on for a few days at a time before suddenly one day it goes, but will come back another time.