• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Yucca caused hypoglycemia?

I got my son's SNP results back last week. We've thought for awhile that he might have a problem with ammonia and he's CBS+ so it is a problem. He can't do a low protein diet because of many food sensitivities so we added yucca on Friday. He start having hypoglycemia symptoms and needed to eat every two hours. He has had seizures in the past and on Sunday he had a severe hypoglycemia episode where he was sweating, shaking, and became disoriented, he didn't know where he was and was very emotional. It lasted a few minutes. Fortunately he didn't have a seizure, he thought he was going to. We stopped giving him the yucca yesterday and today the hypoglycemia is almost gone. Has anyone had this happen or know why it happened. He had some improvements on the yucca, less head pressure, less brain fog and was able to concentrate better. But the hypoglycemia is too risky. Now I'm afraid to try the Charcoal. Any suggestions or input is appreciated.
Brandy

greenshots

i can't say why having lower cholesterol would lead to low sugar but I know that yucca drops cholesterol quite a bit. It binds to cholesterol in food just like some cholesterol drugs do. Since lower cholesterol could lead to lower insulin levels, you'd think he'd have higher sugars if anything? But it must be related somehow in the biochemistry. I'd post this under methylation instead of genes to see if Dr. Vank knows.

greenshots

After more thought, if your son is more in the ketosis, or fat burning side for getting his nutritional needs, seems like low cholesterol would eliminate that fuel source. That leads to hypoglycemia. There's also the possibility that fat loving bugs like Pylori are leading to this just like other bacteria or yeast make you crave sugar when you start using probiotics or limiting sugars. Something more to think on, anyway.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have two CBS +/+ and I do not need yucca or charcoal as long as I eat <= 80g protein per day (which is normal). It only means I cannot eat an Atkins (high protein) diet. Here is what you do to verify this: have him eat whatever is a normal amount of protein for his age (is it 80g for kids or only 60g or...?) then get a serum ammonia test. If it is in range then he can eat that amount of protein w/o yucca IMHO. I believe It got the serum ammonia test from directlabs.com (but I also ordered one for my Dad from www.lef.org, but it was a special order). With the requisition in hand you can take the test at will as soon as you are ready to regulate his protein intake for one day (has to be a weekday). You get the blood drawn at the closest labcorp.

If he fails this test, try a lower dose of protein...it may be if he has been eating high protein for a long time it might take a few weeks to get rid of the ammonia...you could retry the ammonia test with that level of protein once you know he has not been eating high protein in the recent past.

Yucca abraids the intestines and supposedly this helps absorption...but what is he then absorbing? More sugar/starch - which could raise his blood sugar and then let it crash? Also allergies cause adrenal symtoms...maybe he is either allergic to yucca or to something that yucca is helping him to absorb in greater quantities than he ever did before? (And here is one thing that can be suspect...if he has leaky gut then he is already absorbing wheat which is undigested and with yucca he would absorb even more, which can cause big problems...undigested food absorbed into the blood stream looks like an allergen to the body. Or he could even have Candide which is being absorbed to a greater degree with yucca). I did not want my intestines abraded so that is why I did not want to take it myself. Some people think it is a good thing to increase their nutrient absorption in this way but it did not strike ME as a good idea.

Triff