• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Your Liver and Portion Size of meals?

Hi
Would anyone know the Scientific reason why the size of the meal you eat impacts your liver?
I am trying to understand how a large meal impacts your liver as opposed to a smaller meal.

As much technical detail as possible if anyone knows the answer to this.

Thanks.

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Sorry not very technical, but basically:
The blood that supplies the small intestine (where the products of digestion are absorbed) is all sent to the liver via the hepatic portal vein, before that blood returns to the venous system for return to the heart. Eating a meal means the liver needs to process all the small molecules that get absorbed into the blood from the gut. Presumably the larger the meal, the more processing that the liver has to do.

Thanks for that succinct and quick answer. I understand now.
Can I glean from this that if I had a liver problem such as Non-Alcoholic Fatty liver, I would need to eat smaller portion sizes so as to not overwhelm my liver? And, would an overwhelmed liver lead to blood sugar imbalances followed by irregular insulin?

Thanks

Keela Too

Sally Burch
I was a biology teacher before ME hit, so I can give the basic details, however I can't be sure when it comes to the medical aspects of small meals. However I suspect what you say is likely to be correct.

I imagine a low sugar diet is probably even more important than actual meal size for the insulin aspect. On a personal level since having ME I have found I react badly to high sugar foods. Pity that... :p