• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Your experiences with grape seed extract.

Jackdaw

I often read people saying grape seed extract has been a useful supplement but I have struggled to find a dedicated thread and had to fish about.

If anyone could share their experiences with grape seed extract that would be great. And info on if you think it had an impact on the TH1 TH2 balance would be fab.

(Just in case you get muddled like I have, l mean the extract from grapes to make wine, not grapefruit seed extract.)

taniaaust1

I have not taken it by mouth as I know I have an allergy to this. I get skin reactions eg rash.. if its in beauty products I use. It is often used in natural beauty skin products as a preservative.

jesse's mom

I do have a friend who recommends grape seed extract highly. I am early on in my supplementing and am having to go slowly. I am interested in this thread and will keep eye out to see what response you get.

Stretched

Grape seed extract is supposed to be one of the highest anti oxidizers. I use it regularly at night in a standard dose. I have to think it’s working but no sensation to it whatsoever.

alex3619

I usually get no response to grape seed extract, but used to use it a lot. The story of why is the interesting bit.

An original product, not the current one, called Pycnogenol was made from grape skins. Now its often made from pine bark I think. The first time I took this, before I started using pyramid dosing, I took the maximum recommended dose in the science, not on the bottle. It was four capsules, I no longer recall the full dosage.

For a few minutes there was no response. Then I got a fizzing sensation in my stomach. Then it spread, I could feel it spreading, and a half hour or so later it was everywhere. It was so intense it was painful. A bit after that the fizzing sensation stopped,

After that I felt fantastic. I could not recall ever feeling that good.

I then moved to a lower dose for maintenance, this supplement was expensive. I never got that major response again.

Something I learned from personal experience with Resveratrol, also made from grapes, is that the recommended dose is insufficient, but a higher dose can be good, and does not need repeating for three to four days, meaning the average dose might be lower than the recommended dose.

perchance dreamer

Grape seed extract gives me terrible insomnia. I wish I could take it because it really helps some people with allergies.

I think my reaction must be unusual. I haven't been able to find any connection from googling about this.

Jackdaw

Thanks for the replies. I notice there is no first hand positive experience. Yet i’ve thought this was a popular and successful supplement.

I am interested in the shift to TH1 as I have Candida and signs, maybe, of autoimmunity (just tested very positive for 7/11 on celltrend). Too ill to try anything strong, but think I will have a gentle go with this.

Carl

I use GSE daily, mainly as an antioxidant and for circulatory system strengthening effects. I have not noticed it affecting my immune response, but it might do. I like many am Th2 dominant. I have tried various mushrooms such as reishi, cordyceps and also astragalus herb and none helped me and most just made me sleep which I do not need. I avoid anything which makes me drowsy/sleepy/tired, I have utter contempt for sleep.

I usually take a 1ml scoop of the powder extract once or twice daily. Mixed with amino acids and magnesium carbonate reacted with the amino acids such as glutamic acid to form magnesium glutamate to provide some nervous system stimulation.

Be aware that GSE has some unpleasant properties. It has a very unpleasant mouth feel and tends to stick to the teeth. Magnesium in my experience tends to help stop this and make it much less unpleasant ie tolerable.