• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wheelchair woes...

Valentijn

If your in the uk speak to social services about it, they have to provide accommodation for a wheelchair if need be...
There's almost certainly an exception for historic buildings. But providing her own accommodation (carrying the wheelchair upstairs) shouldn't be something they can prevent. Their concern (if they have one) would be liability in case of a fire, but for someone who can walk that shouldn't be a legitimate concern.

The clearout date has been and gone... Two hoovers have vanished from the cupboard (before the removal date) and apart from the managements belongings such as plastic table and foldy chairs and wooden spade, the two things that remain is the wheelchair and a plastic box that looks like old cat litter.... Doesn't look like they've even been to me.

My occupational therapist did mention getting me a bungalow with wheelchair access last year (don't know how long the list is) but i love where i am as its perfect. If i was able to go out regularly then the stairs would be an issue but being housebound most of the time my flat is perfect for my symptoms with the ocassional trip out for appointments etc.

The OT would have installed a stair climber for me with the attitude of 'to hell with the neighbours and the management' but i knew there'd be issues either from the neighbours direct, with the noise of it clunking its way down or because of it sitting in an open space at the top of the stairs when not in use and the whole fire reg. problems etc.

It seems my chair is safe 'for now'....

The stair lift would have met with fire regs so don't worry about that ;) and if the management had problems the sw/OT would have sorted them. I am in a housing association property and am in the middle of adaptions and my poor OT is having to battle all the way because there is some adaptions here but there designed for restpite not living in.. But were getting there slowly...