• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

***VIP DX ANNOUNCEMENT*** Serology test is now available!!

shannah

I bet the delay on offering the serology test was related to the delay on the Alter paper.

Bingo - By George I think you've got it John!!! Both were supposed to be announced at the beginning of July weren't they. I've wondered all summer long why VIP has delayed their serology. Duh! This makes so much sense now! Especially if they had already prearranged to release both the paper and the test at the same time.

Sunshine

Yes. VIPDX waiting for the FDA paper before giving the public the antibody test was clever. If there had been no Alter/Lo paper the psych's and state media would keep saying don't bother having an XMRV test, only 1 study shows any link to CFS, losing max interest in the new test from the public.

It was probably also linked to getting a patent through also.

Lynn

I sent in my blood for the serology test today

I pulled the trigger and had my blood drawn for the serology test today!

Unfortunately, it looks like it will take six weeks to get the results. I believe they still have to get the test certified or something like that. VIP told me that it is would be 8 weeks for the culture test.

Lynn

Sunshine

I pulled the trigger and had my blood drawn for the serology test today!

Unfortunately, it looks like it will take six weeks to get the results. I believe they still have to get the test certified or something like that. VIP told me that it is would be 8 weeks for the culture test.

Lynn

Hi Lynn.

How did you get a test kit for serology back to your home/doctor's office and spin the blood at a lab, in a few hours?
Do you work at VIPDX? That's a super fast turn around time!

At the moment VIPDX are allowing people to put a reserve on the serology test kits, so you are miles ahead of the rest of us.

Well done for being so rapid and I hope you get the results you want.

Thanks

Sing

These tests are not yet officially accepted/approved, even though they may be accurate. Some branch of our labyrinthine US govt is working on the development and testing of the test for public use. Right now there are these methods used for research purposes, but what they finally come out with for general testing may be slightly different. In any case Alter or Lo today said that the tests still need to be tested further.

So many doctors and advocacy groups are still advising us to hold our horses for now and wait until there is an official test which insurance will have to cover, which will be linked with our illness and which may also be linked with drug treatments.

On the other hand, I understand the urgency, and perhaps if enough of us get tested and come out positive, this in itself will help move the ball down the field. The scientists like to control the game, and they should, but with politics so strongly a factor, we can act politically too!

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
For those who have already had the culture test, I presume the serology test will be $99 (the current price difference between both and just the culture test)?

Lynn

Hi Lynn.

How did you get a test kit for serology back to your home/doctor's office and spin the blood at a lab, in a few hours?
Do you work at VIPDX? That's a super fast turn around time!

At the moment VIPDX are allowing people to put a reserve on the serology test kits, so you are miles ahead of the rest of us.

Well done for being so rapid and I hope you get the results you want.

Thanks

Hi Sunshine,

I planned ahead. After the first news release (in June) saying that the test would be available in July, I contacted VIPdx and asked for a kit for my upcoming doctors appointment in mid July. I also asked them about gerring the new serology test at the same time. They said no problem because a tube would be included for that collection as well.

I had my Doctor's appointment in July and he signed off on the XMRV test but it still wasn't available. My doctor is 4 hours away from where I live. So we decided I should have the blood drawn at a Quest lab near where I live when the test was ready. This was not as easy as it sounds.

I went to Quest Diagnostics today and they turned me down flat for a blood draw because it would be sent to another lab. I called VIPdx to see if they had any recommendations and the suggested a hospital. I found one and called and they said sure, come on in, we do that all of the time. Unfortunately, when I got there about 2:30 p.m., they had decided that they needed to do the blood draw in the morning to make sure that they could get Fed Ex to pick it up. They said, please come back tomorrow.

On my way home, feeling pretty tired and down by all of this, I stopped in a local clinic to check to see if they had a lab that would draw my blood. And they said sure, we'll do it as a courtesy. So there was no charge, just very nice people. The world is still full of amazing people.

I was tired by then and still had to drop off the package to FedEx which was about 10 miles away. It was alot of activity for a simple blood draw. But I am glad I did it. Inquiring minds want to know.

Lynn

shannah

So Alter's paper identified some other MLV's and this new testing will pick up XMRV plus these other MLV's. That leads me to believe that conceivably there could be other MLV's associated with CFS that are not as yet identified. So I'm supposing that even if we test negative to this particular test, we could still have a strain or MLV that hasn't yet been found. Does that sound right?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Some good customer service:
Marguerite Ross said:
The licensed serology test will detect antibodies to Human Gamma
Retroviruses that include XMRV and other human MLV-related viruses.

The cost is $249.

Those who previously tested negative by virus culture will receive a
letter in a few weeks explaining our retest program at no extra cost to
the patient.

shannah

Some good customer service:

" Originally Posted by Marguerite Ross

The cost is $249.

the patient."

Looking for a link to this info. Don't see it on VIP site or previous reference on this particular thread. Anyone have a source?

Otis

Señor Mumbler
" Originally Posted by Marguerite Ross

The cost is $249.

the patient."

Looking for a link to this info. Don't see it on VIP site or previous reference on this particular thread. Anyone have a source?

Does anyone know if they're specific about the MLVs they test for. All found in the Alter/Lo paper?

On the VIPDx site they have a PDF order form to mail or fax in. "Kit deposit is $65.00." I requested a kit a long time ago and they told me it would take at least 6 weeks. Never received one. I am considering ordering a kit now (for $65), but I'm not sure if I should wait.

The site currently says:
"* The price of the PCR/culture test is $450.
* The price of the serology test is $249.
* The discounted price for both tests at the same time is $549."
So... this implies that if we get just one test, and later want the other, we miss out on the $150 discount for getting them both at once.
Plus the hassle of a 2nd blood draw and waiting for another kit and waiting for results.
Also apparently we have to file for insurance on our own unless it's Medicare (they'll bill Medicare for us).
(For those of us who didn't already test through them in the past.)

Yeah the VIPDx site says it includes others. "WPI licensed serology test to detect antibodies to Human Gamma Retroviruses that include XMRV and other human MLV-related viruses"

Daffodil

lol i assumed the serology for the new MLV-related viruses would take months. this is great. they had been planning for the alter/lo paper release all this time!

i hope this will mean a lot more research money for WPI with all the people ordering tests!

Sounds like they will have to spend money/time to do free retests of those who paid in the past. But that seems great to me because the numbers would go up and up. The percentage found to have XMRV/MLV-related. And it makes me more interested in paying, since maybe I could get a free upgraded test in the future if I tested negative now?

Hey everyone. I've been kinda lingering the threads for a while now...I am still waiting to be tested. I gotta save up some money first before I can even order a test kit. but i thought i would jump right on in and say this is such an amazing discovery for us. I haven't been as sick as long as some others but I'm going on about 6 years now and have always thought this was a viral thing. I'm so excited about these new discoveries and hoping for a cure or treatment soon. As for this new testing...

SickOfSickness: I spoke with VIP Dx regarding the "free testing". That program is only for patients who tested previously "none detected" with the virus culture method and those patients in the program will receive a letter in the mail with instructions on how to get the serology. There was also a mention of a cutoff date but that is yet to be determined.

They will bill Medicare for those patients that have it but for the rest of us it is fee for service and the payment is due at the time the sample is sent in. They do give a "super bill" with CPT codes (from them) and ICD9 codes (that should be provided by our physician) so we can try and get reimbursed from our insurance company.

CFSbaby - Welcome to the forums. Yeah I am just wondering if I should get tested now. If it came back neggative and they later improved/expanded their test then they would probably offer the new one free to me. So that helps me feel better about doing it now. Though there may be other benefits to waiting.