Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Videos from ME-conference in Stockholm (October 2016) Includes lectures from Fluge and Bateman

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    The Swedish ME Association RME (Riksföreningen för ME-patienter) has now released videos of lectures from their ME-conference in Stockholm in October.

Two of the lectures were in English:
    Summary of the IOM Report and the Relationship to Diagnosis and Treatment of ME/CFS
    Lucinda Bateman, MD, Bateman Horne Center, Salt Lake City, USA

The RituxME and CycloME studies – Ongoing Clinical Research in the ME/CFS Research Group
    Øystein Fluge, MD, Dep. Oncology and Medical Physics, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norge

All lectures can be seen here.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Avena, Izola, TiredSam and 23 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, @Kalliope - I wonder if you might want to put "including Fluge and Mella" in the title - people will be very interested in their talk.

So will I! Going to watch it now. :)

TrixieStix, AndyPR and Kalliope like this.
  3. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

Just watched this; so refreshing .............she really knows what she's talking about.......................what a difference to EC.

4. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Wish I could watch this. Ugh? Never heard Fluge talk. Must be super interesting.....

Ritto likes this.
  5. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Just watched, I can confirm he is super interesting :)

They are doing a lot of work but
    they will know so much more once the code is unlocked on rituxime in Oct 2017.

It's impressive.

MEMum, trishrhymes, aimossy and 3 others like this.
  6. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Thank you for explaining a bit. But now I'm even more curious haha.

MEMum, trishrhymes and BurnA like this.
  7. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

He mentions a paper they have in review that should be published shortly. Hopefully that will explain more, and if I got it right it should support the lack of energy production theory similar to what Ron Davis is saying. But they don't consider it a hibernation state.

MEMum, Kalliope, Ritto and 3 others like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I really got a lot out of the Fluge video (I haven't watched the Bateman one yet). I feel like I finally understand some of the charts that I've seen in connection with the work in Norway.

One thing I thought was interesting was the way Fluge was kind of non-committal about whether the Rituximab response was due to the elimination of auto-antibodies. He seemed to suggest that it was also possible that the b-cells were producing something else, yet to be discovered, that, like auto-antibodies, took time to be cleared from the body.

I don't know how likely it is that it actually could be something other than auto-antibodies, but I'm impressed by people who approach a problem by questioning everything.

MEMum, ukxmrv, trishrhymes and 9 others like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Yeah, that was interesting. Rather than "hibernation," he characterized the state as a "struggle for energy."

MEMum, Kalliope, trishrhymes and 2 others like this.
  10. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

And Fluge seemed pretty confident the data is showing that chronic EBV infection is NOT the problem due to a patient with known high EBV titers having an almost immediate positive response to Rituximab while ME/CFS patients takes months to respond to the drug.

*This part of the Fluge video is in the question & answer part at the every end

MEMum, trishrhymes and Forbin like this.
  11. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

Fingers crossed their data/paper makes it thru it's current peer review as he mentioned so they can share their finding in a few weeks. I hate having to wait!!! Exciting stuff.

12. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member

Yes this post needs to be getting much more views/replies and titling it "Fluge & Mella" will catch people's attention better as they are used to seeing the names used in conjunction rather than individually. Perhaps if it doesn't start getting more discussion over the next few days someone could make a second post linking to the video using that title.

MEMum likes this.
  13. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Most of it I probably read somewhere I guess. But maybe some new stuff here and there.

MEMum likes this.
  14. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

His hypothesis
    upload_2016-12-4_13-34-41.png

MEMum, Kalliope, trishrhymes and 4 others like this.
  15. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

16. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Just finished watching. So exciting. Every doctor in the world should watch both. Especially the BPS crowd. See how real scientists work.

17. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I hope this metabolomics paper gets published soon. Tantalising stuff.

mango, TrixieStix, Lindberg and 4 others like this.
  18. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

For those who would like to know more about lactate:

The cell has three ways to generate energy: glycosis, citric acid cycle, and the electron transport chain.

Energy carrier molucules such as ATP store the energy so that it can used when and where it is needed.

Glycolysis takes place outside the mitochondria and produces some energy carrier molecules from glucose as well as pyruvate.

The pyruvate can be converted into acetyl CoA which can fuel the citric acid cycle, which produces more energy carrier molecules and fuel for the electron transport chain. This also requires oxygen.

If there is no oxygen, or some problem making acetyl CoA from pyruvate, then pyruvate is fermented which produces lactate. This is anaerobic metabolism which produces much less energy.

The Norwegians have mentioned that there might be a problem with the enzyme pyruvate dehydrogenase which is needed to convert pyruvate into acetyl CoA. There might also be a problem with oxygen supply. Either way there would be increased reliance on glycolysis.

Increased lactate and low anaerobic thresholds indicate that we have problems using our efficient oxygen requiring energy production systems for some reason.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expect, and hope I didn't get too many things wrong here.

Grigor, MEMum, TrixieStix and 5 others like this.
  19. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

They already know. They don't care. :mad: But you already know this. It's just so hard for any of us with a conscience to fathom the depravity.

trishrhymes likes this.
  20. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I think to much oxygen is used for making superoxide which after some reactions becomes hydrogenperoxide which can destroy invading agents DNA and protein .

See more popular forum discussions.