• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

VDR help please

Hi everyone,
I have been looking at my daughter's VDR results and would love some help with interpreting them. She has rs1544410 - VDR Bsm TT on the positive strand, so AA.
rs731236 - VDR Taq GG on the positive strand, so CC

These are two of the three from the Yasko page on SNPedia. The third wasn't in the results we have from her testing. I see there are a lot more which are listed in other threads here which I have not looked at yet, but may need to do.

I'm a bit lost as to what this means for her. Would she have less receptors or less efficient receptors, would she still produce Vitamin D from sun exposure? I'm not sure which are considered the risk alleles and how the two together would be affecting her, especially in terms of her bone health as she is 12 and currently growing quickly.

Thank You for any help you are able to offer me!

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
These are two of the three from the Yasko page on SNPedia. The third wasn't in the results we have from her testing. I see there are a lot more which are listed in other threads here which I have not looked at yet, but may need to do.

I'm a bit lost as to what this means for her. I'm not sure which are considered the risk alleles and how the two together would be affecting her, especially in terms of her bone health as she is 12 and currently growing quickly.
I can't comment on her results except to say that there is disagreement between Dr. Yasko and other labs on VDR results. A couple of patients have submitted their samples both to Dr. Yasko and to another lab and got different results.

Hi Sushi, thank you for your reply. I had just been reading about the problem with the VDR results on Dr Yasko's list. It is one of the reasons I am asking for some help here. Seems to be some people who know and understand a lot more than I do right now. :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Sushi, thank you for your reply. I had just been reading about the problem with the VDR results on Dr Yasko's list. It is one of the reasons I am asking for some help here. Seems to be some people who know and understand a lot more than I do right now. :)
There are a lot of earlier threads on VDR that you can find with the search engine. Use the Google site search choice under search as the forum search engine doesn't work with 3 letter words.

My VDR results (not from the Yasko lab) we considered very poor yet I have never noticed any practical effect. I have no problems around absorbing Vit D or using supplements related to Vit D.

P.S. It is good to either tag (@Foxten) or quote them so that they know that you have replied to them. That will send them an alert.

alicec

Would she have less receptors or less efficient receptors, would she still produce Vitamin D from sun exposure? I'm not sure which are considered the risk alleles and how the two together would be affecting her,

Those SNPs have a minimal effect on VDR function - a slight downregulation of receptor function which has no consequence.

There is no effect on vitamin D production.

Here is a thread discussing VDR variants which do have some consequence. Here is a thread discussing the controversy at the time over Yasko's claims about which was the risk allele. Like in many other things,she made the wrong call about the risk allele, but in any case, the claims about risk are greatly exaggerated.

These two SNPs have minimal effect and are nothing to be concerned about.

Moof

Commercial genetic testing companies advise you not to use the results to interpret medical conditions, or to make any kind of treatment decision based on them. This is partly because the accuracy may be limited, but mostly because not even world experts know enough about how most SNPs affect people's health, how they interact with other SNPs, or whether they have any effect at all in a particular individual. It's good advice – there are millions of variations and gazillions (mathematical term!) of combinations, and it'll be decades before we fully unpick it all. That's assuming we ever do... ;)