• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccination as treatment for XMRV

Hope123

During Dr. Klimas or Mikovits' talk (don't remember which atm), someone asked her about antibodies in HIV and XMRV. If antibodies are generated by the body as part of the defense mechanism for viruses, why is it that you can have antibodies to viruses and still be affected by them? She said it was a very good question and went into how some people might not produce antibodies at all or not produce an adequate antibody response or the "wrong" antibody response. There was also some comment thrown out about how vaccines can be used as therapy.

This got me thinking. When Coffin and others have talked about vaccines, most people have talked about it as prevention but from what I know, some vaccines are being investigated as treatments. I've seen it being discussed for cancers, still in experimental trials:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Therapy/cancer-vaccines#9

Of course, one challenge for us is whether our immune systems could mount a defense even if a treatment vaccine was developed.

At various media outlets, the figure was thrown about that 95% of CFS sufferers in WPI studies had antibody to XMRV but then this has never been published in the scientific press that I have seen. It would be interesting to see if controls have antibodies and if they are the same type. The little results I saw at CFSAC showed 53% and 57% in small studies (n=33, n=15).