• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using Lessons From HIV Activism, People With 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' Fight for #MillionsMissing

Murph

:)
http://www.thebody.com/content/81016/people-with-chronic-fatigue-millionsmissing.html?comments=on

Using Lessons From HIV Activism, People With 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' Fight for the #MillionsMissing
By Olivia G. Ford From TheBody
May 9, 2018

Scott Simpson was once a triathlete competing in events around the world. Nowadays, it's a triumph for him to climb two flights of stairs without landing in bed for days.

"With triathlon training, I'm always feeling tired, so I'm very familiar with what tired feels like; this was qualitatively a different experience," Simpson recalled recently. Avid TheBody readers might remember Simpson's inspiring, often hilarious blog documenting his passion for triathlons, and his travails as a "former party boy" turned dedicated athlete living with HIV. The blog was active from 2009 to 2011. One day in 2012, in the midst of preparing for a big triathlon event, Simpson woke up more ill than he had ever been before.

"At the time, I thought, this is like a cellular thing ... I am not just tired, I am without energy." It didn't take Simpson long to figure out that he got sicker after exercising -- and that the more he exercised, the sicker he became. Now, only the slightest amount of exercise is possible for him. If he pushes past his limit, he said, "I will have to spend a lot of time horizontal, so that I am not doing more exertion by sitting up."

Simpson was describing post-exertional neuroimmune exhaustion (reduced functioning and greater illness after even minor physical or mental activity). This is the symptom that people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME -- sometimes (controversially) known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) -- have in common. Because of this, Simpson figured out that he probably had ME within weeks of his first bout with the condition, but he didn't receive an official diagnosis for five more years. He went to doctors, bringing with him the International Consensus Criteria for ME, which he had found in his research; the document was ignored.

More at the link.

(Kudos to "Simpson" for being so generous with this journalist. I can only imagine the Simpson in question is @ScottTriGuy !!)

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Why you should click through to the actual article on TheBody.com:

Way back in my life before ME, I wrote a blog for TheBody.com called: "HIV+ Triathlete: Til I Drop"

The blog was a short term project about living with HIV while training for an Ironman triathlon.

Remedy Health Media, the corporation that owns TheBody.com (a site specific for people living HIV/AIDS) and TheBodyPRO.com (a site for health care professionals about HIV/AIDS) owns a number of online health resources that cumulatively reach over 200 million people.

In my dream world, Remedy would launch a similar resource site for ME and be able to leverage their substantial reader base, including physicians and nurses.

So please click through to the article and give them traffic. If they get lots of clicks on this ME article, maybe they'll consider doing more articles, or even a dedicated site for ME.

*GG*

From this PDF/Newslette I had delivered to my home, Title of the article:

Dr Maureen Hanson: from plant biology to ME/CFS champion

"How many idividuals were studying retorviruses when HIV was initially discovered? The answer is very few. But funing for AIDS resulted in many researchers from other fields changing their research emphasis to work on HIV/AIDS."

GG