• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unknown PACE-trial advocate tries to block JHP issue dedicated to the trial

Barry53

Sounds like they nearly were cowed. SAGE was a donor to the SMC in 2012 and 2013, so the Weasel probably thought he could pull a few strings. I think we've been very lucky that JHP doesn't have a small UK publisher.
If this all gains some traction, it would be great if the string-pulling episode became more openly discussed, with the offender unable to pull yet more strings to prevent it. House of cards moment.

Barry53

Is it any wonder that despots, self-professed demigods, etc. detest and fear social media, without which the BSP'ites would still be totally in the ascendancy, and no-one would really have much idea what was going on.

A.B.

Wessely is PR savy and tweets like these probably only serve the purpose of creating a folksy and friendly image. It's like ablative armor against accusations that he is oppressing and exploiting patients with fraudulent science.

Barry53

Wessely is PR savy and tweets like these probably only serve the purpose of creating a folksy and friendly image. It's like ablative armor against accusations that he is oppressing and exploiting patients with fraudulent science.
Indeed. You can imagine "What, our Simon! Who are these people?". Well ... actually ... many of the world's leading scientists.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I noticed how he managed to get "Oval", "London" and "First World War" into one tweet, and wondered whether it was designed to reinforce his quintessential cricket-loving good British chap image before the coming storm.

The trouble is that what he's been getting up to behind the scenes just isn't cricket at all. But if all he knows is spin-bowling, we shouldn't be surprised to see him at it again.

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
The accusation behind the skullduggerey is that the JHP articles were not peer reviewed properly.

What about the peer review process in the PACE papers published in the Lancet! It didn't exactly reveal the flaws in PACE's methodology & biased reporting of results....

Barry53

So let's assume SW et. al. have now resigned themselves to the fact the JoHP will be publishing its PACE special edition tomorrow, which they will no doubt have been poring over. What is going to be their counter attack? The peer review thing has fallen flat, but they'll think of something. In my experience the more into a corner these kind of folks get pushed, the more absurd (and obviously absurd) their attempts to defend themselves become. It should be interesting.

Barry53

The accusation behind the skullduggerey is that the JHP articles were not peer reviewed properly.

What about the peer review process in the PACE papers published in the Lancet! It didn't exactly reveal the flaws in PACE's methodology & biased reporting of results....
I think they have trouble distinguishing between Hippocratic and hypocritical.

Daisymay

Wessely managed to get through the Camelford scandal but I hope PACE will not be that easy to overcome.

And there's also the gulf war scandal which of course Wessely is pivotal to. I really hope that when the ME scandal is completely exposed it will all snowball and the fallacy of MUPS and GWS will be exposed too, now wouldn't that be something to celebrate, like bringing down the BPS Berlin Wall.