Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Tribunal orders QMUL to release anonymised PACE data 16 Aug 2016

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

:lol: That's mighty considerate of you. Let's hope someone checks in with reality and sees where this is all headed (in PACEland the icebergs are not melting)

2. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Paolo Macchiarini is not guilty of scientific misconduct
    http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)00118-X/fulltext?rss=yes

Thoroughly recommend EVERYONE to read this Defense of Machiarrini from last year (September 2015) and contrast with yesterday and today's news (5 and 6 September 2016). This was an editorial by the Lancet and presumably Richard Horton.

It really shows the wrong-headed, defensive and flawed mindset we are up against. See how wrong Richard Horton and the Lancet were.

It is a stunning editorial!

Horton should not be worthy of even cleaning the Lancet's offices never mind editor in chief.

ukxmrv, moosie, Solstice and 4 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Very odd. Why on Earth with ARUK be funding a longer-term follow up for PACE when it's been acknowledged that the LTFU data is almost uninterpretable. Oh yeah, and the whole study is just junk.

Solstice and Yogi like this.
  4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

It could be a mistake in the MRCs database as I couldn't find mention of in on the ARUK website

Bob, Esther12 and Yogi like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Thanks, I did :).

Yep. And any review or investigation of PACE should be carried out by its authors or their universities, and end there. At least the Lancet is consistent :rolleyes:

What we could really do with is a television documentary, it seems to have been the most fast and direct way to cut all the crap in the Macchiarini case.

6. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Esther12 likes this.
  7. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Thanks @A.B. @JES @Bob for checking and confirming back to us that only minor changes.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MeSci, mango and Bob like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

9. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    The press release (about the tribunal decision), that most of the recent media articles were based on, has been made public...

This is a major piece of work and a huge success for those involved...

New thread:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...se-of-withheld-data-text-now-available.46653/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Invisible Woman, mango, MeSci and 4 others like this.
  10. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Open letter to Queen Mary University London about PACE published at virology blog from:

prof Ronald Davis
    prof emeritus Jonathan Edwards
    prof Rebecca Goldin
    prof Bruce Levin
    Zaher Nahle
    prof Vincent Racaniello
    dr. Charles Shepherd
    prof John Swartzberg

11. Kati

Kati Patient in training

12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Fantastic letter.

13. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

It was similar with the Wakefield fiasco. Horton has a striking ability to position himself on the wrong side of every argument. It's quite a skill actually. I can't fathom how he ever became editor in chief, let alone stayed editor in chief after all these calamities.

14. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I suspect that the lancet's sales or profits have increased so he keeps his job, they probably aren't even thinking of the brand damage.

His attitude seems to reflect one in the UK of not challenging those in authority.

Valentijn, Snowdrop and Solstice like this.
  15. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Brilliant letter, thanks so much to all involved!

mango, Comet, Kalliope and 2 others like this.
  16. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

I really think that much of modern life in high profile well paid jobs has become somewhat like football management.

One knows that financially you are set up economically compared to the average wage, you have a given amount of time in the hot seat and no matter how or when you are sacked, or how well you perform, you walk of with a great big pay off or even paid up to the end of your contract which is usually obscenely high remuneration.

For some reason, unlike the average person you can walk into another obscenely high paid job regardless of the fact that its public that you were let go for being useless.

I guess when you are doing the bidding of the establishment or have become a piece of furniture inside the establishment you just don't really care.

17. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I just had a thought: are we officially not terrorists now? Good to know.

18. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

I think you are on the money with that guess. PACE was funded to government policy.

ukxmrv likes this.
  19. moosie

moosie

mango, Valentijn, Esther12 and 5 others like this.
  20. moosie

moosie

actup, Wolfiness, mango and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.