• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Treatment of neurotic disorders" by Simon Wessely (2008 presentation)

ukxmrv

but he says CFS is caused by deconditioning and exercise phobia and she seems to suggest "enormous bursts of activity" cause symptoms.

Imagine the arguments in their house (winks)

(seriously does anyone know what Wessley thinks about ME in 2014. It seems like I have read so many different statements from him over the years. Let alone the claim that he had left ME research for good a few years ago)

A.B.

Imagine the arguments in their house (winks)

(seriously does anyone know what Wessley thinks about ME in 2014. It seems like I have read so many different statements from him over the years. Let alone the claim that he had left ME research for good a few years ago)

It's almost as if there was no clear model of psychosomatic CFS and people in this field just come up with explanations on the spot. That would also explain why they hold different and sometimes incompatible positions, where CFS is both caused by too little exercise and too much. The only constant is that the patient is always to blame.

Last edited:

misskatniss

I seriously wonder why no more CFS patients take their lives due to all the slaps in their faces. I know many do it, way too many, but if I look at the overall picture, I just admire those who hang on. It´s so incredibly hurtful to suffer and be treated like a jerk.

chipmunk1

salem-witch-trials-10-728.jpg

salem-witch-trials-20-728.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft

Suspicion of modern medicine due to beliefs about illness being due to witchcraft also continues in many countries to this day, with tragic healthcare consequences. HIV/AIDS [8] and Ebola virus disease [9] are two examples of often-lethal infectious disease epidemics whose medical care and containment has been severely hampered by regional beliefs in witchcraft. Other severe medical conditions whose treatment is hampered in this way include tuberculosis, leprosy, epilepsy and the common severe bacterial Buruli ulcer.[10][11] Public healthcare often requires considerable education work related to epidemology and modern health knowledge in many parts of the world where belief in witchcraft prevails, to encourage effective preventive health measures and treatments, to reduce victim blaming, shunning and stigmatization, and to prevent the killing of people and endangering of animal species for body parts believed to convey magical abilities.

In the north of England, the superstition lingers to an almost inconceivable extent. Lancashire abounds with witch-doctors, a set of quacks, who pretend to cure diseases inflicted by the devil ... The witch-doctor alluded to is better known by the name of the cunning man, and has a large practice in the counties of Lincoln and Nottingham.[136]

Once a witch was accused, the methods to go about their trial and questioning were often quite unfair. Few people were found innocent of their accusations, and most went through horrific torture. If they plead innocent, they were most often tortured until they confessed and described their exploits with the Devil and the many crimes they had committed whenin fact they had done none. By the end of the questioning many accused actually believed what they were saying in the insanity brought on by tortur

Last edited:

chipmunk1

The Salem witch trials started because some girls had mysterious symptoms such as epileptic fits that could not be explained or treated by the local doctors. Because no physical cause for the symptoms was found it was believed to be caused by witchcraft. Then the priests became involved and things got out of control.

Interestingly if that happened today the the doctors would send the girls to a psychiatrist where they would probably receive a conversion disorder diagnosis and they would attempt to "purify" their minds with CBT.

The psychobabblers are even citing the Salem witch trials as "evidence" for mass hysteria. How is this different from a belief in witchcraft or the belief in demonic possession? Being "possessed" by the devil or by a hysteric or negative thought?

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/180/4/300.full

Other reasonable explanations such as poisoning or infections are ignored as they require hard evidence and proof while psychobabble just needs a babbling expert .

Problem solving 1692:

Unexplained illness, doctors can't find the cause. ---> No physical cause exists. ----> Must be spiritual ---> Contact the priest. ----> Blame someone(usually a woman) ----> Purify the witch's soul.

Problem solving 1950:

Unexplained illness, doctors can't find the cause. ---> No physical cause exists. ----> Must be psychological. ---> Contact the prie..pr...psychoanalyst. ----> Blame the parents(usually the mother) ----> Purify the patients subconscious mind with analysis.

Problem solving 2014:

Unexplained illness, doctors can't find the cause. ---> No physical cause exists. ----> Must be psychological ---> Contact the prie...pr..psychiatrist. ----> Blame the patient(usually female) ----> Purify the patients mind with CBT

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3575566

Mass hysteria: two syndromes?
Wessely S.
Abstract
On the basis of a literature review it is concluded that mass hysteria can be divided into two syndromes. One form, to be called 'mass anxiety hysteria', consists of episodes of acute anxiety, occurring mainly in schoolchildren. Prior tension is absent and the rapid spread is by visual contact. Treatment consists of separating the participants and the prognosis is good. The second form, to be called 'mass motor hysteria', consists of abnormalities in motor behaviour. It occurs in any age group and prior tension is present. Initial cases can be identified and the spread is gradual. Treatment should be directed towards the underlying stressors but the outbreak may be prolonged. In mass anxiety hysteria the abnormality is confined to group interactions; in mass motor hysteria abnormal personalities and environments are implicated.

In my opinion these folks are just conspiracy theorists of the human psyche. The psyches subconsciously collaborate to produce identical hysteria symptom in a grand scheme to get attention and to get the emotional needs of the group met.

It's all a conspiracy of the subconscious mind! Believe it!

Last edited: