• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treatment implications of the Naviaux study (PNAS, August 2016)

Just a thought, Why not improve the butyrate deficiency noted by Dr Lipkin , and let the B vitamins synthesise themselves in the gut ??

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Just read elsewhere that Dr. Naviaux' Suramin autism study will be published on 5/26/17 and that he plans to do a Suramin trial on ME/CFS patients next. I have no other information, perhaps he'll talk about it during his CDC chat on the 25th.

Countrygirl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suramin

The most frequent adverse reactions are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and a feeling of general discomfort. It is also common to experience various sensations in the skin, from crawling or tingling sensations, tenderness of palms and the soles, and numbness of hands, arm, legs or feet.[11] Other skin reactions include skin rash, swelling and stinging sensation.[11] Suramin can also cause loss of appetite and irritability.[11]Suramin causes non-harmful changes in urine during use, specifically making the urine cloudy.[11]

Less common side effects include extreme fatigue, ulcers in the mouth, and painful tender glands in the neck, armpits and groin.[11] Suramin uncommonly affects the eyes causing watery eyes, swelling around the eyes, photophobia, and changes or loss of vision.[11]

Rare side effects include hypersensitivity reactions causing difficulty breathing. Other rare systemic effects include decreased blood pressure, fever, rapid heart rate, and convulsions.[11] Other rare side effects include symptoms of liver dysfunction such as tenderness in upper abdomen, jaundice in eyes and skin, unusual bleeding or bruising.[11]

Suramin has been applied clinically to HIV/AIDS patients resulting in a significant number of fatal occurrences and as a result the application of this molecule was abandoned for this condition.[12]

Deep joy! :eek:

Years ago I recall listening to Prof Malcolm Hooper lecture on the 'fact' ? that ME and autism are bio-chemically the same. I also have his book he wrote on the subject, although not having a PhD in bio chemistry my brain cell collapsed when reading it.

I might dig it out of my bookcase again..

perrier

Suramin sounds frightening
After so much suffering a medication which could cause even more.....