May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

'The Science Isn’t Settled on Chronic Lyme' by Rehmeyer and Dusenberry

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Ema, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Fantastic Slate article by Julie Rehmeyer and Maya Dusenberry.

L'engle, Sushi, Mel9 and 6 others like this.
  2. Eiren

Eiren

Great article.

I had a bulls-eye rash documented by my GP. My IgM showed Lyme-specific bands.

But...my IgM never switched over to IgG, even a year later. So all the doctors say is mumble mumble "false negative?" mumble mumble "who knows?" (go away).

Freakin' insane.

3. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Thanks for sharing!

Sancar and Ema like this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

A new Lyme study published just recently found good evidence for chronic Borrelia infection in Lyme patients:

msf, sb4, Mel9 and 5 others like this.
  5. RWP (Rest without Peace)

RWP (Rest without Peace) Senior Member

@Ema

Excellent article! I think these two make a dynamic duo, similar to the terrific trio of Dimmock, Levine and Wilder who wrote the "ME/CFS:What Every Family Physician Needs to Know" article for the New York State Academy of Family Physicians e-magazine earlier this year!

Well-researched, and of course, very well written.

RWP + PWR

Mel9 and Ema like this.
  6. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia

Thanks @Hip. That study has clarified why people with a Borrelia infection might have less severe symptoms on long term antibiotics but still do not get completely better.

The antibiotics seem to be bacteriostatic rather than bactericidal (ie they don’t completely kill the bacteria).

It’s disappointing to those of us who thought antibiotics could give a complete cure But anything is better than the terrible pain and suffering of the full blown infection.

Sancar and Hip like this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

From what I understand, @Mel9, the significance of that study is that it has demonstrated for the first time (as far as I am aware) that Borrelia is present in chronic Lyme patients. As we know, there is this longstanding debate as to whether the symptoms of chronic Lyme are due to some after effect of a Borrelia infection, or whether they are caused by the ongoing presence of Borrelia in the body. This study would seem to support the latter theory.

Up until now, the only study that has found long term Borrelia was a primate study in monkeys, which found chronic Borrelia infection in these animals. This latest study now extends that finding to humans.

Sancar, msf, sarah darwins and 3 others like this.
  8. msf

msf Senior Member

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a quack (referring to IDSA here).

Learner1 likes this.
  9. msf

msf Senior Member

Morgellons disease managed to show the medical establishment in an even poorer light than Lyme itself, if that was possible. Somehow, supposedly intelligent doctors got it into their heads that the cases they were seeing were the result of people looking up the wackiest disease they could find in a medical tome, and then introducing bits of fabric into self inflicted wounds...and they thought the patients were crazy!

Mel9 likes this.
  10. msf

msf Senior Member

By the way @duncan, enjoy the feeling of vindication, you deserve it for your tireless efforts in educating people on this forum about this disease. Hopefully now reasonable people will actually try to look for some effective treatments for chronic Lyme.

Starlight, Art Vandelay and Mel9 like this.
  11. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Thanks, @msf. This is a great article and is signifies a lot I think to the Lyme community,

Relative to the Sapi study alluded to by @Hip. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. You know that IDSA types are not likely to let this go unchallenged - especially with new IDSA Lyme Guidelines slated to be released this Fall.

The ALDF recently let loose with another salvo that can be interpreted as demeaning chronic Lyme patients' symptoms. Will that prove to be a hint of things to come this Autumn?

I'm curious how they will attack this study, though. Contamination? Spirochetes not viable? Via Morgellons? The ability of Sapi and company? All of the above?

I'm watching but so far I've yet to see a response.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Starlight and Mel9 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.