Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The Patient Advocate on WPI-Peterson Institute opening

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by RustyJ, Aug 18, 2010.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Mackay, Aust
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  3. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    maybe one day, places for treatment will be all over the world! Lets hope so.

4. V99

V99

UK
    Now remind me again which UK doctor tried to manipulate everyone into thinking the WPI didn't exist. Who said, very stupidly, that the picture was a drawing? No, don't bother, I know exactly who she was. What a fool.

5. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Lol. Somebody actually said that??

6. V99

V99

UK
    Yea, I heard about it on here. Won't say who, but she is well known in the UK fatigue world. What a muppet.

7. floydguy

floydguy Senior Member

I enjoy reading the Patient Advocate. Too bad we don't have more patient advocates like him!

8. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    There was a computer illustration (the professional term of art is a "rendering") of the building that was being widely used on the WPI web site and other publicity materials while the building was under construction. That's what you do when you don't have a completed building yet, pictures of construction sites are not that aesthetically pleasing.

Did somebody use that as evidence that the WPI "doesn't exist"? That's pretty dopey. I'm glad to see pictures of the completed building finally.

signed, used to have a career in architecture before becoming a full-time sick person

9. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    I have another idea, after reading this.

Someone could establish a website where they list that kind of statement or actions by doctors, scientists etc. and then point it out as wrong.
    Like for example "no XMRV in the UK" and then if the WPI releases it's hopefully positive UK study link to that.
    Like the websites where they debunk myths.

It could be called "Weasel Watch" :D but probably a more serious name would be better.

10. V99

V99

UK
    Here is the page from Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=154801179671&topic=12698

11. V99

V99

UK
  12. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Wow. Just wow. One hardly knows where to begin.

The "fake building" part is laughable enough. Yes, that was a rendering of a future building. Perhaps when everyone goes to enjoy the grand opening that can be written off as a mass hallucination? A $77 million building seems pretty real from where I sit, but no doubt I am vicariously participating in the hallucination.

The rest of it - sheesh.

13. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

some people just have no shame at all.

14. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    Dr Esther Crawley. She described the WPI as a 'Cartoon' and not real.

Dr Crawley is Medical advisor to AYME, where children go for advise and support.
    The same woman employed by the NHS who says CBT/GE cures 70% of people with CFS/ME.

Dr Crawley was given 0.73 million for 'ground breaking research' using CBT in CFS/ME by the National Institute for Health research body.
    http://www.nihr.ac.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Dr Crawley is involved in 3-day-cure for CFS/ME pilot trial using 'Lightning Process (LP)'.......... in children.
    (Cure is reached by saying 'No No No' when you have CFS/ME symptoms, and is yours from you local pyramid seller scammer for approximately 1,000+).

15. V99

V99

UK
    I guess she thinks proper ME docs can afford a Porsche

16. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    WPI opening is the first real chance we've ever had to breathe a sigh of relief.

Now we just need 10 in each country.

The Whittemore's went to Capitol Hill a while back to lobby for more funding but were turned down, presumably until the XMRV replication studies are sorted out.

I think America needs more than 1 WPI, simply not big enough to see the amount of people who will want an appointment.

Meanwhile in the UK don't have a WPI, but we so have NHS PACE & FINE trials due to be completed by 2012.

The aim is to cure CFS/ME over the phone, via nurse encouragement and the use of an activity diary and exercise.

17. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

Shouldn't someone mention that CDC went out of business some time back, and warn about medical advice based on Internet fraud? ;)

18. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

i can't access the patient advocate's latest post. it disappeared.... help?

19. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Mackay, Aust
    You are correct. I think this has happened before. Should be back soon. Maybe a hosting issue.

20. *GG*

*GG* senior member

Concord, NH
    Sad state of affairs in the UK, so glad I do not have this condition in your country.

See more popular forum discussions.