• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Effect of Curcumin on Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Murph

:)
The Effect of Curcumin on Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: An Open Label Study

Full-Text HTML XML Download as PDF (Size:380KB) PP. 356-366
DOI: 10.4236/ijcm.2018.95031 50 Downloads 158 Views
Author(s) Leave a comment
C. (Linda) M. C. van Campen1, K. Riepma2, Frans C. Visser1*
Affiliation(s)

1Stichting Cardiozorg, Hoofddorp, Netherlands.
2Curesupport, Valkenburg, Netherlands.
ABSTRACT

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), recently renamed as systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID), is a chronic and often disabling disease. Although the exact pathophysiological mechanism of ME/CFS is unknown, immunological abnormalities may play an important role. Curcumin is a herb with powerful anti-oxidative, and anti-inflammatory properties.

Therefore, we hypothesized that curcumin has favorable effects on symptomatology in ME/CFS patients. In total 52 patients participated, nine stopped the use of curcumin because of side effects. All remaining patients (n = 43) met the criteria for CFS; 72% met the criteria for ME. Before and 8 weeks after the use of curcumin complexed with phosphatidyl choline, 500 mg bid, the CDC inventory for assessment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome was filled in. The CDC questions (n = 19) were scored and divided into 2 parts: the first being specific for CFS complaints (n = 9), the second being scores of less specific symptoms (n = 10); denoted as CDC rest score.

Results showed that 8 weeks curcumin use significantly decreased the CFS related symptom scores, but not the CDC rest scores. Analyzing the data separately for ME and CFS patients, the same significance for the CFS symptom scores was present. Conclusion: in this open-labeled study, 8 weeks curcumin use in a phosphatidyl choline complex reduced ME/CFS symptomatology. Therefore, a randomized placebo controlled study is warranted to assess its efficacy in ME/CFS patients.

Jackb23

There is a huge problem in scientific studies where we define success of a treatment by whether or not something is statistically significant rather than the effect size that this specific treatment may impose. It is due to this macabre reality in science that we often just gain in inch instead of a foot because in this day and age some of the scientific culture orbits more around being published and finding some rather minuscule correlations than what treatments might actually make a substantial difference for those suffering.

Last edited:

Carl

I have looked at Curcumin but not in relation to CFS illnesses but for it's effect on micro-organisms (bacteria, yeasts, fungi). For these micro-organisms curcumin has been shown to affect their cell membranes. It causes an increase in cell membrane permeability which is potentially much more important than you might think.

I have been attempting to destroy the infective cause of CFS and I intend making use of Curcumin, which I have already purchased, to increase influx of antimicrobials. There are other things which do a similar thing which I already have available. This is only a small part of my attempt to eradicate this troublesome and extremely resistant infection. So far even removing the biofilm has not beaten them. But I do have a lot of cards up my sleeve which should destroy them when I have completed finding the other necessary items. I do have Quorum Sensing Inhibitors which has beaten the biofilm when coupled with enzymes. ATM I am trying to find Efflux Pump Inhibitors for as many Efflux Pump Superfamilies as I can while causing me the least problems. Resperine while being highly effective for multiple efflux families, I really do not like the side effects including affecting mood and energy. I do not think that resperine is appropriate for CFS sufferers TBH. Which is a pity because it is one of few EPIs that can affect the ABC Efflux Pumps which is the primary efflux pump.

For my intended purpose liposomal curcumin, which the study seems to be using to increase absorption, is probably not what will work best.

I do use small amounts of Turmeric but keep it low because it moves the liver energy which is not helpful to me.

Sundancer

last fall I added curcumin to the mixture, mainly because my former GP ( an interesting guy, sadly retired now) had advised it for liver problems. So I had used curcuma earlier and discontinued it, mainly because I was fed up with all those pills...

Then I started reading a little and added curcumina powder ( from curcuma longa) to my daily sups. I do think I have less phase 1/ phase 2 problems plus this winter is the first in many that I was not attacked by viruses like flu.

I also find that I have had less threatening herpes-attacks. But as with all these things, i think it is combinations that do some trick and for every sick body another combination is needed

It's always hard to deduce what is what and whether there are causal relations, but even though I may lower the dose in summer. next fall I will definitely keep it on the dose I use now.

Against the flu/viruses I also use ascorbic acid ( some 6 grams) and a daily glass of elderberryjuice.

Wishful

I'd be in the group that stopped because of side effects. Turmeric makes my symptoms much worse, as do most antioxidants.

I agree with Jackb23's comment about research papers with tiny correlations that don't mean anything useful for patients. From what I've read, the original claim about 'aluminum causing Alzheimer's' was from a new test that could detect far smaller quantities of aluminum than their lab techniques were prepared for, so they were measuring contaminated glassware. I suspect that a lot of the health supplements are based on such misuse of research findings. Herb x improves cell function in-vitro by .0002%, and the health marketers boosts this as a miracle cure.

Hip

Based on data from published studies, I performed a calculation comparing the curcumin peak blood levels achieved from Longvida curcumin and the new NovaSOL formulation of curcumin.

Comparing:
Igennus Longvida Optimised Curcumin 500 mg x 30 = £17 ➤ 176 mg curcumin per £1
and:
Solgar Full Spectrum NovaSOL Curcumin 40 mg x 30 = £20.60 ➤ 58 mg curcumin per £1

I found that taking £1 worth of each of these curcumins orally, you get over 5 times the amount of curcumin in your blood using NovaSOL compared to Longvida.

So NovaSOL looks much better than Longvida.