New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

The common link between functional somatic syndromes may be central sensitisation (PD White and Co.)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Roseblossom, jimells, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I am not a fan of such theories. I think it's too easy for them to say that patients' symptoms are not important: the body is sending them incorrect symptoms but there's nothing really wrong.

And I feel we now that ignoring symptoms is not a good strategy in ME/CFS.

Anyway, can't say I'm a fan of what is done in this paper. Having a large selection of illnesses allows them to find something to say to back up a point they want to make when it may not have relevance to the other illnesses. Sometimes I know that the research doesn't apply to other illnesses in the group
    e.g.
    Increased levels of substance P have been found in Fibromyalgia but not CFS.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought it was interesting what happens with central sensitisation in migraine and osteoarthritis:

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They try to link functional somatic syndromes with psychiatric disorders.
    Some comments: diagnosis of various functional somatic syndromes can be delayed for years. In the meantime, patients can be under stress and thus develop secondary psychiatric disorders or else there symptoms can be misinterpreted as psychiatric disorders.

Ref. 112 only applies to CFS and I don't think it shows what it claims to in this sentence.

5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Central sensitisation.

Never did sound very scientificky.

Sounds a little like a construct that helps explain away pain that is perceived not to have an ongoing cause, or perhaps more accurately, to have a cause that wouldn't trigger such a response level in 'normal' people.

Woolie, jimells, lycaena and 5 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Lange et al. is usually used as a sign that the brains of patients with CFS have to work harder to do the same level of cognitive tasks as others rather than what they say here.

Kati, Woolie, Roseblossom and 4 others like this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The longitudinal studies in CFS have not consistently found that early life adversity is a risk factor.

Other types of studies can be affected by recall bias and similar biases (patients remembering things that also happened to other healthy people who don't recall them). Also, some of these types of studies e.g. the two Heim studies cited used the CDC's empiric criteria (Reeves et al., 2005).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  8. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    This paper looks to be a steaming pile of horse turds.

On the plus side it looks like the research and awareness has gotten to the point that they feel they can't just ignore it anymore. Instead they will apparently just cobble together a bunch of jargon-filled pseudoscience.

..and I'm sure osteoarthritis patients will be thrilled to find out their pain has been declared psychosomatic :confused:

9. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Thank you so much for keeping track, @Dolphin and for explaining things.

Unfortunately Central sensitization is mentioned here at the local ME clinic, and the influence from UK is showing at different levels of governments as well in Canada when it comes to ME and FM.

Webdog, Roseblossom and Dolphin like this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Do they get around to explaining the two-day CPET results in a central sensitization context? Or swollen lymph nodes? Or blood pressure & heart rate that might be pretty normal one week and really bad the following week?

Come on guys, don't hold back ... hypothesize how our supposedly overly sensitive CNS manages all of that :rolleyes:

Webdog, Sean, Scarecrow and 1 other person like this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I suspect that central sensitization can't be proved or disproved. It's hysteria in disguise.

JaimeS, Roseblossom, jimells and 6 others like this.
  12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Yep. It's just restatement of the psychosomatic position in 21st century neurobabble language.

13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

No, they don't mention any of that.

Valentijn likes this.
  14. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Shocking! :rofl:

Dolphin likes this.
  15. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I like how one can turn opinion into "research" simply by getting it published in a friendly journal. And after it's been cited a few times it miraculously becomes "truth".

16. Roseblossom

Roseblossom

Especially when it's the friendly Journal of Psychosomatic Research on whose editorial board sit several familiar names, including:

P.D. White
    Queen Mary, University of London (QMUL), London, UK

M. Sharpe
    Warneford Hospital, Headington, Oxford, UK

S. Wessely
    King's College London, London, UK

:eek: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-psychosomatic-research/editorial-board/

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  17. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    :jaw-drop:

What a good find! These people truly are shameless and have no honor. When I am looking at PubMed articles and I see this journal name, I know the study is junk without even reading it. I wonder how many subscribers they have besides the Wessely School and medical libraries...

I also wonder if PD White "pal reviewed" his own study before he published it in his own journal.

Roseblossom and Woolie like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I think that is what is called a 'closed shop'.

Nice work if you can get it.

Roseblossom, Valentijn and halcyon like this.
  19. msf

msf Senior Member

Ahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha!

Roseblossom likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.