• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Telebriefing on P2P final report: Tues June 16, 11am EDT

Bob

I'm glad I fell asleep for that one! I woke up and it was all over. A lucky escape by the sound of it!
It sounds like they didn't really want to do a media thing, and perhaps it was a formality that they had to put themselves through. (Box ticking.)
Whereas, the IOM had a contract to do media work, I think, so they really had to reach out to the media.
I think this process and the report are focused towards assisting the authorities (govt bodies) rather than the media.
Although, I've never quite understood the purpose of the P2P process. So far, the entire process has seemed like a box-ticking exercise. But we'll see. It all depends on the outcomes. What changes will we see over the coming months and years?

SOC

Although, I've never quite understood the purpose of the P2P process. So far, the entire process has seemed like a box ticking exercise. But we'll see. It all depends on the outcomes. What changes will we see over the coming months and years?
This is my thinking as well. What exactly was the point of this exercise? Who is it intended to inform? Not the media, the public, or GPs, apparently. Where does the information go from here? Who is supposed to alter their behaviors/attitudes/program/funding based on this? What was it intended to achieve that was not reasonably covered by the IOM report? Why did we waste money on this instead of spending it on some actual research? I just don't get it.

As Bob says, it all depends on the outcomes. If something good comes of it, then I'm satisfied, but at the moment this looks like something that is only going to end up as outhouse paper -- made a mess of and then thrown down a hole never to be seen again.

Bob

Will this report help get Ampligen approved for use in the U.S.?
I was originally going to answer 'no', because they've already been through a complex exercise to reject it. But the owners of Ampligen are already working in cooperation with the FDA, doing further studies to help satisfy the FDA's regulatory requirements, if my memory is correct. I suppose this report might prompt/allow the authorities to fund further research into Ampligen, if they are inclined to.