• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

T4 Response

xks201

For those of you that have tried thyroxine, how did you respond? I responded horribly. More energy but my heart took off. It is my conclusion that I have some sort of genetic defect in either the expression of or the gene itself for adrenergic receptors. Therefore, the body naturally seems to put up thyroid resistance to spare the heart and organs from overworking on adrenaline. This is just a theory - but given the supersensitivity to adrenaline and POTS most of us exhibit, it could explain a lot.

By adding a strong beta and alpha blocker like COREG with high dose thyroxine and other hormones that may be deficient I am thinking many cases of fibromyalgia can be pulled out of.

sianrecovery

I went straight for T3 as I have seen so many hypothyroid friends struggle on thyroxine. So far, two months in, so good - bumpy ride, but alot more energy. There may of course be a terrrible price pay, disappointing reversal to come, I know, I KNOW. But I've got to keep trying. I've started low and taken two months to work up to 25mcg and will probably stick here. I think you are right on the adrenaline stuff. I also think an abrupt rise in metabolic rate is inherently hard to handle, esp for the poor old mitos.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I couldnt handle thyroxine (prescribed by M.E doctor for subclinical hypothyroidsim) Was fine on 12,5mcg and 25 mcg, but once on 50mcg i developed symptoms of being HYPER although my blood results didnt reflect this - they only moved marginally. The Thyroxine also didnt make me feel any better or worse - it might have been because the dose was too low. Dr Myhill says she sees this in a lot of M.E patients - it was very disapointing because as usual i had hoped that maybe it was (just) my Thyroid and that if it worked i would be cured.

Dr Myhills theory is that it is either adrenal problems or a build up of heavy metals in the heart causing this reaction to thyroxine. As i dont have the money for constant consultations and testing with her i am stuck knowing this but unable to do anyhting about it.

Xks - i dont really understand your post - could you expain more simply please?
All the best, Justy.