• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Suspected Copper Toxicity

Hi guys, new here so not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I want to see if anyone has any information on my Copper levels and also where to get them checked. I'm around 99% I have some level of toxicity and I've read on a few sources that it's no good to go to the doctors and get tested because their results are poor and could lead me to believing my copper levels are fine when really they are not. Is this true? Seems like there's some very knowledgeable posts on this forum so I'm hoping someone can help me.

My symptoms include:

crippling anxiety most of the time
crippling depression comes in phases
hypoglycemia and sugar cravings
derealization and depersonalization
chest pains
shortness of breath
general fatigue and quick fatigue through exercise
poor cardio
poor motivation
nightmares
confusion
feelings of going insane (sometimes comes along with depression)
angry outbursts
horrible short term memory, long term seems ok..
slightly yellowish tone to skin
unable to listen to others

I feel like these have began from a very young age, perhaps 5 or 6 then slowly progressed and gotten worse and worse every year. At 20 I had my first episode of depersonalization and was sure there was something wrong, however through research I was led to believe it was only anxiety - I've recently come to learn about copper toxicity and can't help but think there's more too it than just anxiety. Since 18 or so I've slowly developed drug and alcohol problems and they have made matters worse, my anxiety is so bad that I don't even want to go and get my copper levels checked although I understand I'll have to.

So far I've started supplementing with Zinc to limit copper intake through foods and as a mild antagonist (so I believe) but I'm also seeing different opinions on that. Molybdenum, Vitamin C and Methionine I understand are copper chelators and my new thornes multivitamin contains Molyb and Vit C in decent doses as well as extra Zinc. All minerals seem to be in a good amino acid chelate form so I'm hoping they're absorbing well, I also have extra Zinc so I could possibly be taking too much of that. I've also cut out high copper foods and I'm getting methionine through high protein intake along with protein shakes. Is this enough to start giving me copper dumps or do I need to take further action? And where would be the best place to make sure I get accurate copper testings? I've finally become fed up of living like this rather than running away from it through drugs and alcohol and distractions and want to get rid of this garbage in my system forever (assuming I have it). If my tests come back as normal copper then I truly give up. Please help me out guys, thanks so much.