• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Surprise benefit of sunlight — it energizes infection fighting T cells

anne_likes_red

I understand what you are saying but that is why I put charging in quotes. I only understand the theory at a very superficial level. I used charge as according to Pollack , water absorbs at 1400nm and 270nm (sun) in order to create an exclusion zone and electric potential (charge). However I'm not sure on the mechanics of how proteins / cells use photons in their absorption wavelengths to their advantage...

I'm still learning so don't be completely detered by my butchering of the theory.

The exclusion zone of water in cells is created by IR and "enlarged" by UV (270nm). May be worth noting fluoride prevents the charge separation according to Pollack, Kruse and others.
Kruse's cold thermogenesis and Leptin protocols exploit the "harvesting" of IR and UV.

(Roeland van Wijks book Light in Shaping life could possibly help with the other mechanics you mention. It's pretty advanced though I hear...and I don't pretend to have a handle on it yet either! Interesting stuff tho.)

sb4

The exclusion zone of water in cells is created by IR and "enlarged" by UV (270nm). May be worth noting fluoride prevents the charge separation according to Pollack, Kruse and others.
Kruse's cold thermogenesis and Leptin protocols exploit the "harvesting" of IR and UV.

(Roeland van Wijks book Light in Shaping life could possibly help with the other mechanics you mention. It's pretty advanced though I hear...and I don't pretend to have a handle on it yet either! Interesting stuff tho.)
I am quite familiar with kruses ideas, been reading his stuff since 2011. Would love to read that book however it's very expensive :(

What I am struggling with is exactly how proteins and cells use light in communications and as energy. I understand how it affects water to a satisfactory level. I read about how certain amino acids are close together and light excites the electrons to cause them to react. Do you get it?

Hip

What I am struggling with is exactly how proteins and cells use light in communications and as energy.

I don't think there is much reliable evidence that biological processes do use light for communication, though it is an area of ongoing investigation.

Obviously biology has evolved to detect and respond to light, as that's how we see; and biophotons (light given off by biological processes) have been detected; but whether light is used as a cell to cell communication medium remains a controversial idea with no solid evidence as yet.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
"Many studies have shown that electromagnetic radiation in the near-infrared -- wavelengths just beyond the approximately 700-nm limit to human vision -- can affect cell and organism biology. Some, but not all, of the induced changes can be attributed to the heat generated by absorption of near-infrared radiation.

Among the effects, seen in multiple cell and tissue types, is increased ATP synthesis in mitochondria -- in essence, an energy jolt for the cell."
From: http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/GeneralNeurology/43985

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27664904
Exp Eye Res. 2016 Nov;152:88-93. doi: 10.1016/j.exer.2016.09.006. Epub 2016 Sep 21.
Optical monitoring of retinal respiration in real time: 670 nm light increases the redox state of mitochondria.
Kaynezhad P1, Tachtsidis I1, Jeffery G2.
Author information
  • 1Dept of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, University College London, UK.
  • 2Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, UK. Electronic address: g.jeffery@ucl.ac.uk.
Abstract
Mitochondria play a key role in ageing and disease. Their membrane potentials and ATP production decline with age and this is associated with progressive inflammation, cell loss and death. Here we use broadband Near-Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS) to non-invasively measure in-vivo changes in aged retinal mitochondrial respiration following exposure to 670 nm, which improves mitochondrial performance and reduces inflammation. Low power NIR light was shone into the eye via a fibre optic and the reflection monitored to measure signature changes in the oxidation of cytochrome c oxidase (COX) in complex IV of the electron transport chain. Changes in retinal haemodynamics and oxygenation were also recorded simultaneously with COX by measuring changes in oxygenated and deoxygenated haemoglobin (Δ[HbO2] and Δ[HHb]). Retinae of aged rats exposed to 670 nm for 5 mins showed consistent progressive increases in oxidation of COX 5 mins post exposure. This remained significantly greater than baseline for up to 2 h. This was not seen when retinae were exposed to 420 nm light of the same power or when no light was applied. 670 nm exposure significantly increased total haemoglobin concentration (Δ[HbT] = Δ[HbO2] +Δ[HHb]) but not haemoglobin difference (Δ[HbDiff] = Δ[HbO2] -Δ[HHb]). There were no changes in blood metrics in association with 420 nm light or when no light exposure was given. Hence, brief 670 nm exposure that is associated with reduced inflammation has a significant positive impact on the redox state of COX in aged retinae. The relative redox state of retinal COX may provide a valuable biomarker in ageing and macular degeneration where declining mitochondrial function is implicated.

Chocolove

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1567724913002730
Effect of near-infrared light exposure on mitochondrial signaling in C2C12 muscle cells
Department of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, United States
Received 3 July 2013, Revised 6 November 2013, Accepted 7 November 2013, Available online 15 November 2013
Highlights
• NIR light exposure activates mitochondrial signaling in C2C12 muscle cells.

• Chronic NIR light exposure (4d) activates mitochondrial regulatory proteins.

• Mitochondrial responses to NIR light may involve ROS signaling.

• Mitochondrial adaptations may contribute to NIR light therapeutic benefits.

Abstract
Near-infrared (NIR) light is a complementary therapy used to treat musculoskeletal injuries but the underlying mechanisms are unclear. Acute NIR light treatment (~ 800–950 nm; 22.8 J/cm2) induced a dose-dependent increase in mitochondrial signaling (AMPK, p38 MAPK) in differentiated muscle cells. Repeated NIR light exposure (4 days) appeared to elevate oxidative stress and increase the upstream mitochondrial regulatory proteins AMPK (3.1-fold), p38 (2.8-fold), PGC-1α (19.7%), Sirt1 (26.8%), and reduced RIP140 (23.2%), but downstream mitochondrial regulation/content (Tfam, NRF-1, Sirt3, cytochrome c, ETC subunits) was unaltered. Our data indicates that NIR light alters mitochondrial biogenesis signaling and may represent a mechanistic link to the clinical benefits.

Chocolove

Interesting website:
https://mitochondrialdiseasenews.com/about/
"Mitochondrial Disease News is a science and health publishing website that occasionally writes about clinical trials taking place in the Mitochondrial Disease research community. The information provided on this site is designed to help educate patients on clinical trials that may be of interest to them, based on the topic of the story, and to help patients contact the centers conducting the research. Mitochondrial Disease News is neither promoting research nor involved in conducting any clinical trials. Some study summaries have been edited for clarity purposes to make them easier to understand."

Going to an infrared sauna tommorrow. Bringing my husband ( not doing well right now). I always have craved sunlight since becoming ill.

I am 52. I do not wear sunscreen religiously anymore . If it hits 40 and is sunny I am outside.

Loved the infrared sauna!
Probably placebo effect but felt great afterwards. Me and my husband go together so we get a discount. He is suffering from depression and is not that enthused about " holistic" therapy. I was like this once when I was superpharmacist. I am a total convert ( not everything of coarse just have to sort through the bull)
I am going to try to go 3 times a week with him of coarse.
Thank you Phoenix rising for giving me great information to help me help myself and my family.

sb4

Loved the infrared sauna!
Probably placebo effect but felt great afterwards. Me and my husband go together so we get a discount. He is suffering from depression and is not that enthused about " holistic" therapy. I was like this once when I was superpharmacist. I am a total convert ( not everything of coarse just have to sort through the bull)
I am going to try to go 3 times a week with him of coarse.
Thank you Phoenix rising for giving me great information to help me help myself and my family.
I would very much say it's not placebo. There are numerous studies showing the benefits of red light.

sb4

Well with the new studies showing antibodies could be playing a major role, it explains how people get better in sunny environments. The increased activity of the immune system (light catalyzing enzymatic reactions in immune cells, increased vit A/D) causes it to not be overpowered by our viruses / etc and thus allows our immune system to regain control and stop attacking the wrong targets...

Learner1

Well with the new studies showing antibodies could be playing a major role, it explains how people get better in sunny environments. The increased activity of the immune system (light catalyzing enzymatic reactions in immune cells, increased vit A/D) causes it to not be overpowered by our viruses / etc and thus allows our immune system to regain control and stop attacking the wrong targets...
This article discusses UV light and the immune system:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/9398755b2f4...E12B1E5C6F40ACA00&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Or you can find it by Googling Rowen and UV and clicking on UV blood irradiation.

Helen

Thanks @Learner1. Very interesting article about UV blood irradiation. Googling lead to a lot of links to other fascinating articles about this almost forgotten method to cure infections a.o.

sb4

This article discusses UV light and the immune system:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/9398755b2f4...E12B1E5C6F40ACA00&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Or you can find it by Googling Rowen and UV and clicking on UV blood irradiation.
I am familiar with this and would like to try however you can do it yourself. If you live in sunny environment, expose skin and eyes to as much sun as possible everyday. The uv will get in the blood as well as all the other wavelengths of light. I am retrying my experiments with reptile and uvb lights to get this effect in my sun deficienct environment.

Helen

The uv will get in the blood as well as all the other wavelengths of light.
That would explain a lot of the benefits of light and sun. Do you know if this has been tested in some way?

sb4

That would explain a lot of the benefits of light and sun. Do you know if this has been tested in some way?
I'm not sure of any tests. It's just physics. If you look at the attached document it shows how far different light penetrates. In blood, hemoglobin, proteins and cells all absorb light at different sun light frequencies of sunlight. This either catalyzes one of the billion reactions they are doing per second, is used by hemoglobin in a similar manner as chlorophyll, is used by water to build ez, and other things im not aware of. Forgive me, im still learning.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 6

Learner1

I am familiar with this and would like to try however you can do it yourself. If you live in sunny environment, expose skin and eyes to as much sun as possible everyday. The uv will get in the blood as well as all the other wavelengths of light. I am retrying my experiments with reptile and uvb lights to get this effect in my sun deficienct environment.
It would be a long wait where I live to get sufficient sun! But it's a good point - another reason we shouldn't be coated in sunscreen every time we step into the sun. (Vitamin D production and exposure to toxins through our skin being the others.)

The glass tube that's used has a twirly thing inside. The doctor said it was so the blood cells would turn around so the light would get on all sides of them. Coming through the skin from the sun it wouldn't be the same, but you'd be doing it longer, do maybe it would equal out .

I was a little freaked out about doing it at first but I trust my doctor and found the research on it.

And before I tried it, I saw another patient get it. She said she'd been battling chronic EBV for 3 years and this helped her the most of everything she's tried.

sb4

It would be a long wait where I live to get sufficient sun! But it's a good point - another reason we shouldn't be coated in sunscreen every time we step into the sun. (Vitamin D production and exposure to toxins through our skin being the others.)

The glass tube that's used has a twirly thing inside. The doctor said it was so the blood cells would turn around so the light would get on all sides of them. Coming through the skin from the sun it wouldn't be the same, but you'd be doing it longer, do maybe it would equal out .

I was a little freaked out about doing it at first but I trust my doctor and found the research on it.

And before I tried it, I saw another patient get it. She said she'd been battling chronic EBV for 3 years and this helped her the most of everything she's tried.
Oh wow, so youve tried it?