• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Supplements that help with Adrenal Fatigue on Hypoglycemics

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Agreed. You shouldn't take it first thing in the morning if you have some then. And starting slow makes sense.

The advice from Dr Lam, STTM, etc. is not meant for people like us, its for people with garden variety stressed adrenals and thyroid problems.

People in our camp have a constellation of abnormalities, and it takes carefully feeding our various pathways like directing an orchestra. Supporting the adrenals is only one component.

Looking at all hormones, including thyroid, pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone and estrogen is important.

Ensuring digestion is working properly so what we invest can properly be taken in and metabolized. Research has shown most of us had a disturbed gut microbiome and nutrient deficiencies (particularly B vitamins, antioxidants, and certain amino acids and lipids).

Many of us have challenges with methylation and other detoxification pathways, which especially happen in the liver. Supporting the liver generally with something like Thorne Research SAT or Liver Support or similar or supporting the individual pathways can greatly reduce liver difficulties.

The liver can also be harboring infections, so finding and treating them is important.

But, you have to start somewhere with all of this, listen to your body, and keep adjusting. And have good lab work to guide you.

Some good points definitely.

I have balanced out at 2.5mg four times a day. I dont need to 'mimic' a cortisol curve as I dont have one, the idea is that I slowly add support to my body with the synthetic cortisol, im not trying to 'rest' my adrenals like STTM claim, just help my body find a natural balance knowing it has SOME of the hormones it needs rather than giving it 'all' and downgrading production.

Ive been without for so long, my receptors are so sensitive anyway.

My liver problems I think are the key to my issues - I have recently switched to Dr Wilsons Adrenal Rebuilder as I just cant tolerate the Miladregen - and Ive found vitamins are actually my problem. I dont have any issues with the rebuilder - so the clearance of the metabolites from the vitamins are the problem. However I dont tolerate any liver cleansing other than a dropper full of Milk Thistle liquid three times a day, anything above that is over stimulating and then crash.

I am highly copper toxic - I tried copper detox without being stronger and it almost killed me!

Lol, Pregnonelone - turns me batsh*t crazy of hyper up overemotional super anxiety weeping in my head but wanting to fight a war in my body - for me, Preg turns to adrenaline, not cortisol.

drob31

Some good points definitely.

I have balanced out at 2.5mg four times a day. I dont need to 'mimic' a cortisol curve as I dont have one, the idea is that I slowly add support to my body with the synthetic cortisol, im not trying to 'rest' my adrenals like STTM claim, just help my body find a natural balance knowing it has SOME of the hormones it needs rather than giving it 'all' and downgrading production.

Ive been without for so long, my receptors are so sensitive anyway.

My liver problems I think are the key to my issues - I have recently switched to Dr Wilsons Adrenal Rebuilder as I just cant tolerate the Miladregen - and Ive found vitamins are actually my problem. I dont have any issues with the rebuilder - so the clearance of the metabolites from the vitamins are the problem. However I dont tolerate any liver cleansing other than a dropper full of Milk Thistle liquid three times a day, anything above that is over stimulating and then crash.

I am highly copper toxic - I tried copper detox without being stronger and it almost killed me!

Lol, Pregnonelone - turns me batsh*t crazy of hyper up overemotional super anxiety weeping in my head but wanting to fight a war in my body - for me, Preg turns to adrenaline, not cortisol.

The reason Preg has this effect for me, is because it's going down the DHEA > Androgen > Estrogen pathway.

I had some bloodwork done after being on 100 mg for 1-2 months and my estrogen was double what it normally is.

Also, I can't buy the "adrenals fatigued" argument. I believe that the HPA-axis is off, and unless there is a physical issue with the glands, they are ready to go, they just need the right signals.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
The reason Preg has this effect for me, is because it's going down the DHEA > Androgen > Estrogen pathway.

I had some bloodwork done after being on 100 mg for 1-2 months and my estrogen was double what it normally is.

Also, I can't buy the "adrenals fatigued" argument. I believe that the HPA-axis is off, and unless there is a physical issue with the glands, they are ready to go, they just need the right signals.

100mg of Preg? lol. When i mentioned my reaction to it - that is on 1-2mg :) 100mg would literally send me to an asylum!

I do believe HPA dysfunction is a huge part of it, however, neurotransmitters, hormones, all made by the adrenals, primarily the cortex. If they are exhausted, they can't produce them - this is why many of us have hyper active nervous systems, and without the neurotransmitters to calm a system, overdrive prevails, and then eventually liver malfunction, cant rid the adrenaline - vicious circle.

I'm fairly confident this is how it is for me.

I don't like how loosely the term Adrenal Fatigue is thrown around though, people with CFS get labeled with AF because they are 'tired' . - AF can literally be the opposite of that sometimes.

AF is a strress disorder as Hans Seyle represented in his GAS theory. AF is General Adaption Syndrome in medical terms. Excellent work and such a shame it wasnt properly adopted into medical textbooks - if it where Doctors would be so much more helpful and knowledgeable.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Basic version of his model.

Attachments

• general_adaptation_syndrome.gif
    general_adaptation_syndrome.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 15

Learner1

Having read and read and read everything I could on adrenal fatigue awhile back, I was always puzzled why my situation didn't fit neatly into any of the models. For some of us, there's simply not a neat progression.

I'm not so sure they're fatigued either... though everything I've seen does say the HPA axis is off... I suspect its due to infections, autoimmunity, altered biochemical pathways with bottlenecks and shortages of ingredients that got used up somewhere. And likely its going to be different for each of us...

There's info out there that says pregnenolone can help cognitive function and reduce our brain fog. Mine was low, so I started supplementing 10mg, and it helped. My doctor had me try 150mg and my estradiol went through the roof, complete with a myriad of excess estrogen symptoms.

I've found the hormones don't always neatly follow the pathways they're supposed to...its prudent to test and react to the results if in doubt. I find I need DHEA and testosterone, too...

picante

Thank you for all the good suggestions,
But I can tell you as someone who has been hypoglycemic for many decades I know and have tried all these great suggestions and still was having headaches 2-3 times a week... Now with taking Cornstarch every 3-4 hours I have not had a headache for almost a month.. so my situation was beyond taking small and frequent meals and avoiding food sensitivities and the rest.
You said you had high cortisol. Hypoglycemia is a result of low cortisol. Of course, it can be a roller coaster; I've had my share of that.

I started HC myself in March. It's definitely stabilizing my blood sugar, but I can make it plunge by taking T3, LOL. I decided to take my tiny dose of T3 in the afternoon, because in the morning I need ALL of the HC dose just to get up and do basic morning stuff (food and grooming, e-mails).

Where did you get the idea of taking cornstarch?

picante

Some intolerences . increased dizzyness, underlying pent up anxiety, increased hyperarousal - but I believe this is just because my body has been starved of cortisol for over ten years, so its waking up.

Liver is having a tough time with it mind.
What symptoms do you get that indicate liver troubles? Are you saying your liver is not detoxing it?

drob31

Having read and read and read everything I could on adrenal fatigue awhile back, I was always puzzled why my situation didn't fit neatly into any of the models. For some of us, there's simply not a neat progression.

I'm not so sure they're fatigued either... though everything I've seen does say the HPA axis is off... I suspect its due to infections, autoimmunity, altered biochemical pathways with bottlenecks and shortages of ingredients that got used up somewhere. And likely its going to be different for each of us...

There's info out there that says pregnenolone can help cognitive function and reduce our brain fog. Mine was low, so I started supplementing 10mg, and it helped. My doctor had me try 150mg and my estradiol went through the roof, complete with a myriad of excess estrogen symptoms.

I've found the hormones don't always neatly follow the pathways they're supposed to...its prudent to test and react to the results if in doubt. I find I need DHEA and testosterone, too...

Preg did work for my brain fog and "woke" my brain up.

I wonder if using an aromatase inhibitor with preg would help. Something like DIM at a high enough dose.