• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sunlight and Vitamin D problems

frozenborderline

I intuitively feel like i need sun, even though I don't know my vit d levels, and started being able to get it for the first time in awhile. Feel like I overdid it today. Is there any problem besides sunburn, with excessive sun exposure? It seemed to cause fatigue and my skin feels like it's going to get burned.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@debored13 - I just looked up sun exposure and fatigue and found several articles which pretty much say the same things, that sun exposure can cause fatigue, it causes your body to work harder to maintain your core temperature, causing fatigue; you can easily become dehydrated which causes fatigue (even slight dehydration can cause fatigue); sun burn itself is fatiguing - those are the main points I saw. Here's one article: https://www.menshealth.com/health/a19531253/why-the-sun-makes-you-tired/

You may lose electrolytes as well and low potassium can definitely cause fatigue.

aaron_c

Many of us with ME/CFS get quite tired from vitamin D (and sometimes that means sun exposure). I wrote a post about it here you might find useful. Since I wrote that post I've confirmed in another way that high TGF-beta is involved as I lately had an issue with this kind of fatigue and was able to stop it by taking losartan (which lowers tgf-beta).

frozenborderline

Many of us with ME/CFS get quite tired from vitamin D (and sometimes that means sun exposure). I wrote a post about it here you might find useful. Since I wrote that post I've confirmed in another way that high TGF-beta is involved as I lately had an issue with this kind of fatigue and was able to stop it by taking losartan (which lowers tgf-beta).
I haven't noticed bad effects from oral vitamin d, or any effects, but I did notice being tired after this sun exposure. Considered getting a uvb lamp though, it seems like one has to be very careful with that

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
It couldt be that melatonin has diminshed.

One action of melatonin is to diminish nitric oxide production.
VitD does the same though. I guess melatonin works more effective.

My last Dr (a naturalpath) tested my vitamin D levels and found them to be really really low (I avoid the sun because it, and the heat, make my symptoms worse too)
He put me on 50,000 mg (a prescription gel capsule) of vitamin D taken twice a week and another 2,000 mg (An over the counter supplement) taken daily-
while I could afford all that it helped me noticeably with mood and energy levels. I didn't think vitamin D supplements were helping initially but it was just because I was taking normal people amounts instead of this crazy amount.

Sometimes I crave 'the sun' and I've learned that for me, that's more of a craving for being outdoors in nature.
So when I feel that way I get my parasol and go sit in a park or something and it's uplifting

Wolfcub

@debored13 could it be basically heat intolerance? I think our ability to tolerate heat and cold changes.
30 minutes sun exposure at a time is about right for sufficient vitamin D in a fair skinned person, but black or darker skinned people need longer. An hour might have been too long.
Even when I was well, I had to head for the shade after perhaps even less than 30 minutes!

Another thought (relief mostly) is cool cloths? Damp your skin with cool cloths soaked in water beside you, and wrung out. I don't think dampness is going to affect the rays reaching your skin, but it might make the sunbathing more pleasurable?.

pamojja

Though I don't take aspirin or progesterone, I really seem to have found the holy grail of sun-burn protection. Have been each year since 2012 for six weeks in the deepest winter to a South-Indian beach, each day from 10-12AM and 3:30-5:30PM in the sun without suncream (first time for recovering fro a 1 year long chronic bronchitis). Never experienced even once a burn.

However, since I supplement comprehensively since already 10 years everything I can afford, really no idea which of the supplements are the crucial agents. Suspect the whole mix of antioxidants in synergy.

frozenborderline

@debored13 could it be basically heat intolerance? I think our ability to tolerate heat and cold changes.
30 minutes sun exposure at a time is about right for sufficient vitamin D in a fair skinned person, but black or darker skinned people need longer. An hour might have been too long.
Even when I was well, I had to head for the shade after perhaps even less than 30 minutes!

Another thought (relief mostly) is cool cloths? Damp your skin with cool cloths soaked in water beside you, and wrung out. I don't think dampness is going to affect the rays reaching your skin, but it might make the sunbathing more pleasurable?.
I don't think it was heat (it's on the verge of cold up here), but I do think I needed to ease in a little more

keenly

I intuitively feel like i need sun, even though I don't know my vit d levels, and started being able to get it for the first time in awhile. Feel like I overdid it today. Is there any problem besides sunburn, with excessive sun exposure? It seemed to cause fatigue and my skin feels like it's going to get burned.

Humans need sulfated Hormone D from the sun, but the benefits of UV light are far beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator: