• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sulforaphane antioxidant - anyone using?

natasa778

Sulforaphane from broccoli showing promise for autism (first treatment trial completed), and the first synthetic form hopefully soon in trials for breast and prostate cancer, brain haemmorhage and MS

Dried broccoli sprouts are already available OTC - two brands, both seem to be Australian (I am hearing quite promising reports on both of them, which is great considering that one is much cheaper than the other :)

Sulfor is actually produced in the body from glucoraphanin (contained in broc sprouts) in conjunction with the enzyme myrosinase. So the story goes that even if a plant/product has loads of glucoraphanin it won't be of any help unless myrosinase is present and active (apprently another enzyme can be present that inactivates it!)

There are other bits and pieces of research showing the extract might be helpful for allergies, asthma from air pollution etc but still early days. Also no one knows exactly what/how it does what it does for different conditions...

Last edited:

natasa778

here is one in vivo study on antiinflammatory effects of sf, which may or may not be relevant to real life :)

The objective of the study was to investigate the immuno-inflammatory modulating effect of SF on stimulated human monocytes and peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs). SF time (8 and 24 hrs) and dose (0 - 20 uM) dependently attenuated TLR2 and TLR4 expression by flow cytometry, decreased MYD88 and NFKB activity, and attenuated the secretion of several inflammatory chemokines and cytokines, including MCP-1, IL-1beta, IL-6, IL-12, TNFalpha, and IFNgamma, achieving apparent IC50 concentrations of 0.5 - 10 uM. Gene expression analyses of 184 key pro/anti-inflammatory genes provide further insights into the effect of SF on underlying mechanisms of immuno-inflammatory modulation. ... http://www.fasebj.org/content/28/1_Supplement/830.5.short

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Good question! I also wondered about it's contribution to too much sulfur which I guess could be completely unrelated.

The article from John Hopkins mentions their patent application from 1992 for an extract containing sulforaphane glucosinolate, but there are several commercially available products now that claim the active ingredient is sulforaphane glucosinolate (Thorne Crucera-SGS has 50mg's and Jarrow's Broccomax has 35 mg's).

I'm curious as to what the difference is in the study product and now commercially available products?

Thanks

natasa778

I don't know about the ones you mentioned. The one I am hearing most good things about is Super Sprout brand, plus another similar one whose name I can't remember now (that other one is lots more expensive).Both of course claim to have loads of glucoraphanin + myrosinase to convert it into SF (and no myrosinase blocking enzyme), but there is no standardisation afaik so we must take their word for it :)