• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sudden fatigue from resting?

AdamS

In the past 2 weeks i've had 3-4 sudden plummets in energy with no notable cause, these drops in energy are scary, like seriously scary and what worries me is that they seem to happen when i'm resting. When it happens, it feels like someone is physically stealing my energy, it begins in my arms and legs, like a very mild tingling/heat which turns into severe fatigue and then I start to feel detached. Below are some notes/observations i've made:

Triggers:
  • Sitting down for extended periods in the same position. (E.g on sofa using laptop).
  • Sat on sofa, 1-2 hours after going for a short walk.
Things that bring my energy back:
  • Movement, e.g standing up and pottering around for 5-10 minutes.
Questions:
  • Could this be related to circulation/oxygen?
  • Is it a sign that things could be about to get a lot worse?
  • What is it about movement that allows my energy to come back?
  • Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks, Adam

markielock

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions so directly but I can say:

With a fluctuating health condition, the rules continuously change. This makes pacing yourself and being regular in your activities difficult. From my own personal experience, it sounds like your symptoms have only manifested recently or you're in a relapse. I can't tell you the future, but from my holistic experience I can tell you that your health will ebb and flow but it won't always be so severe and it's hard to pin down the 'why'. Sometimes there is little rhyme nor reason.

The trick is to create an adaptive routine and set of habits; creating the minimum viable habit you can do to progress your goals and so you don't feel stuck, i.e. reading 3 sentences of a book. Sometimes you can't even do that, which is really hard. The hardest lesson is to learn to accept sometimes you can't do things but remember you're not unreliable or unable to do this forever.

I'm really sorry it's been scary and difficult at the moment. I've relapsed recently myself and I know it's easy to feel like your whole life has just turned upside down. It can be difficult to keep perspective.

I hope this helps regardless!

caledonia

Sounds like some kind of orthostatic intolerance or POTS. This means the body is not pumping blood like it should. Some people are affected enough that sitting upright is enough to trigger it.

When it happens, try laying down to see if it helps. You might have to lay down for an hour or more until you feel recovered.

The walking around helping is due to blood being moved around. For example, I can stand and move around a bit much longer than I can stand not moving at all.