• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stat: Gaming the system, scientific ‘cartels’ band together to cite each others’ work

AndyPR

This seemed to me very reminiscent of how our old friends, the BPS crowd operate.
They’re not the kind of gangs that smuggle drugs and murder people. But people looking closely at the scientific literature have discovered that a small number of scientists are part of a different kind of cartel — ones that band together to reference each other’s work, gaming the citation system to make their studies appear to be more important and worthy of attention.
These so-called citation cartels have been around for decades, as the publishing consultant Phil Davis has pointed out. Thomson Reuters, which until recently owned the Impact Factor for ranking journals, has even sanctioned periodicals for evidence of cartel behavior.

Davis, who clearly has an eye for this kind of thing, unearthed a citation cartel a few years back when he came across a 2010 article in Medical Science Monitor with a glaring feature: Of its 490 references, 445 were to articles in an emerging medical journal called Cell Transplantation. Of the rest, 44 were to papers in … Medical Science Monitor. Davis also noticed this: “Three of the four authors of this paper sit on the editorial board of Cell Transplantation. Two are associate editors, one is the founding editor. The fourth is the CEO of a medical communications company.”

https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/13/citation-cartels-science/

Woolie

That's a cracker, @AndyPR! Only one of 490 references was not from the favoured journals!

Reckon its slightly different for the BPS crowd, though. More about selectively citing work to creates the impression of consensus, when really there's still quite s bit of debate. Similar, I guess, but more about ideology than in this example.

CCC

It happens all the time.

Back in my research days, there were three research groups that exclusively cited only work produced from within their own institution: one in Europe somewhere, one in the US, and then another one somewhere else I can't remember.

Australians are used to being not too influential, so we'd cite anyone until it came to one particular aspect, and then we all had to find a way of including reference to a certain scientist's landmark papers from the 1960s. (And this was in the 1980-90s - we were allowed to cite more recent work, but it was easier just to throw in the reference to the landmark paper.)

And the stakes in my field were not high on the global scale. Not biomedical, just career-path stuff.