Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Stabbing Headache When Moving - Do I Have POTS?

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by dannydgm, Mar 4, 2018.

1. dannydgm

dannydgm

Hi All,

I've had a unusual headache for the last few days, I normally get headaches most days anyway but this one is different. Whenever I get up from sitting down I have a dull ache in the back left side of my head which lasts for around 5 seconds then goes. I think it could be what's known as an Ice Pick Headache but I also believe I may have POTS as over the last year I have experienced being very breathless/dizzy/rushing when standing. Anyway just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks in advance ;-)

2. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    There is something called Poor's man tilt table test, that will tell you, try different times, different days, different times a day. Compile the data, if positive, see an electrophisiologyst. They will medicate you accordingly.

dannydgm likes this.
  3. JES

JES Senior Member

@dannydgm You can easily do a basic test to exclude/confirm POTS. Measure your heart rate at rest, sitting or preferably lying, then measure again as you stand up. If there is an increase of over 30 beats per minute, then you have POTS according to most criteria.

dannydgm likes this.
  4. dannydgm

dannydgm

Thank you, i'll give it a go!

5. dannydgm

dannydgm

Thank you for the info ;-)

See more popular forum discussions.