Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Spoonseeker blog: Spotlight on GETSET Julie

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Jul 3, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

https://spoonseeker.com/2017/07/03/spotlight-on-getset-julie/

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I would like to propose an alternative interpretation: Julie's activities is how the authors imagine the illness. In their view apparently there is nothing really wrong with the patient except irregular sleep patterns and lazy weekends.

3. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    Julie is me before the ME not me with ME!! This continues the belief that ME is a trivial illness!!We can go partying twice a week!! Will it never end!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh:

4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Or if we are dealing with any illness at all?

5. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

"How can the treatment be relevant to ME if patients with contraindications to exercise are supposed to be excluded?"

Exactly.

How does that work?

Julie clearly has no contraindications to exercise of any kind. It just doesn't make sense at all.

I don't recognise Julie as any way similar to a PWME, she has energy levels that I could only dream about!

6. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member

UK
    I'd be interested to know what plans GETSET Julie has for her holidays this year. Trekking in the Himalayas? Cycling across Europe? Volunteering on a school building project in the Democratic Republic of Congo? There again she may not have enough spoons for an overseas holiday, she does have CFS after all. She'll choose something gentler like sea canoeing off Anglesey.

Time for Prof. White to run another quick trial so I know how to manage a week in Whitby

7. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Bloody hell! My target for 'complete cure' is lower than that!!! Julie is officially AWESOME!!!!!!! (or something) :jaw-drop:

8. dangermouse

Hell, yeah....the world is literally Julie's oyster!

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    [Satirical] They should have told us they were treating a sick superhero. All we have to do to equal this is clear ... become superheroes ourselves. Where is the superhero serum hiding?

I can do two or three of some of the things on her list per day, provided I pick the things. Like resting. Or watching TV. Shower and breakfast? Ummm, not every day. If I do I am not doing other things. Besides, that is already two things.

mango, Jan, hellytheelephant and 13 others like this.
  10. dangermouse

I reckon there's a good chance that Julie (GETSETJULIE) will go down in history. Maybe even getting her own mini series on TV! And a place in MEpedia!

11. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    I thought we did this bit... :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm surprised no one picked Wonder Woman...

12. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Hey whatever happened to GETSETJoe and his exercise plan?

Will GETSETJoe and GETSETJulie meet up somewhere?:hug::love:

13. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    Does anyone else find that the link to the booklet no longer works properly?

If anyone downloaded it, perhaps attach it here.

MEMum and Luther Blissett like this.
  14. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member

It works fine for me - but if anyone else is having problems, here it is.

Attached Files:

15. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't agree with everything Fred Friedberg writes, but I recall papers he wrote where he said the fear avoidance model doesn't fit high functioning people with CFS. Not something people in the UK generally concede.

16. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    How weird, though. You'd think he'd say it doesn't fit severe patients. As in, they really are too sick to move... whereas mild patients might have fear avoidance that holds them back from activity appreciably because they're afraid of getting worse?

Ehhhhh why do I keep hammering this with logic, when it's clear that logic does not apply? :confused:

17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

:) Rational people try to make rational sense of things. Its why rationalists do badly with politics in my view. So much of human behaviour makes no strict logical sense. It all probably makes sense in the vast order of the universe, but we are not omniscient.

Psychobabble runs on persuasive argument, not logic and evidence. It is not about making sense but persuading the ill informed.

18. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    And yet, they say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. And that is just what I am doing. I think I understand their perspective as well as I can just now, so I'll put away the Credible Hulk for awhile and read some more papers. ;)

19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

What do you expect from a definition of insanity from a physicist? I think this is attributed to Albert Einstein. If that is insanity then the human race is in very deep trouble.

The drive to make sense of things goes much deeper than our veneer of rationality. The more important something is to us, the stronger the motivation to understand, particularly if it does not make sense.

Further I find that in my case my drive to try to understand means I am turning a lot of things, related to anything important, every which way in my thoughts, trying to see how it fits together. Its what I have trained myself to do, and I do not want to change it. So if Einstein is right then I must be insane too.

20. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member

S W England
    I would like to nominate myself to be the next poster-girl for the campaign:

GET SET HELLY

She is resting 7 days a week, walking to the toilet several times a day, attending breakfast ( in the front room), when she's up to it, and is going out hardly ever. She has spectacularly failed to

'valiantly adjust her daily activity to ‘stabilise’ her schedule so that she is doing a similar amount of activity every day',

because she's not a robot- she's a human being living in the real rather than virtual world....and she has a serious and debilitating illness so telling her to rejig her diary is about as helpful as telling her 'get out more'.

Her wonder woman outfit is probably at the bottom of the dirty washing basket...so she is wearing baggy pj's - AGAIN!:)

I will be happy to blog about it and pose for their website when they have cured me...but don't hold your breathe.:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

See more popular forum discussions.